Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onedrive went haywire over new phone
Star 
The story:
While boxing day sales were on, I upgraded my 5yo J7 Galaxy for a new S21. Actually I didn't use it till my gorilla grip cover arrived. Old butter fingers would surely drop it and crack the screen. Angry
Also had to chase up a USB-C cable because the double ended USB-C cable supplied didn't plug in nowhere at my place. Confused While I was at it, I got a wireless charger as well. All minor details really..

So while I waited for these things to arrive I decided to ready the S21. Samsung have an app to transfer all the settings, programs etc. Seemed to work good. Lucky phone came with 50% charge. The program offered to transfer all the photos to the new phone. Seemed like a good idea but this might have been my undoing. All was well until I switched Onedrive on in the S21. Almost instantly Onedrive announced it was full (to my limit of 5gig). I deleted some pics on Onedrive but it responded by complaining of being full. More slashing and burning of pics and eventually third time lucky, Onedrive calmed down.

OK, so I think I shouldn't have transferred all the photos phone to phone. Onedrive merely saw all these photos to back up but wasn't sophisticated enough to understand they were already backed up.

So where did I go wrong? As importantly, what is the ideal method to switch phones and get all the settings etc without the chaos.

Thanks for any responses...
Onedrive is just doing what it does , backing up photos to the cloud. Turning it on was what started the problem as you obviously have more than 5GB of data which is the limit for a free account, exceeding that will cause these issues, offers to upgrade etc

Deleting the photos was only necessary to keep onedrive happy, the phones will presumably have more than enough space for your actual data

The samsung software doing the transfers doesn't care about cloud or onedrive, it was just doing what it it does, transferring data from one phone to another
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Artificial intelligence is wonderful, innit?

I have a neighbour with a gifted IPad one of his family set up for him with various apps and add ons that this young soul thought his old dad might need. So, the first time afterwards I am reversing my scoot out of its parking space in front of my unit way down the block, and it is beeping its head off as usual, my neighbours IPad registers the sound and sends alerts to my neighbour and his family telling them all his smoke alarm is going off...

And we don't live that close, lol. Big Grin