Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shortcut icon turned grey
My WhatsApp shortcut icon turned grey, but it still works.

I have restarted my PC, doesn't help. 

How to restore its original colour?
Maybe check for an update..
There is update available but if updated it will change to the Windows app version of WhatsApp which lacks many features as in my previous post.

I am using Win11 Pro
The way you can change a desktop shortcut icon is to right click the icon properties and select the shortcut tab, on there is a change icon button... The icon is usually a ico file in the install folder or sometimes attached to the exe, dll files
location is here C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\WhatsApp\app-2.2314.11

Note the version number at the end

HOWEVER, from the looks of it, the latest version they have upgraded to above (7th April) has a grey icon embedded and comes up next to the name as OUTDATED

So basically I think with the latest update they are trying to nag you into updating...

you can get old versions here - but you will have to find a way to disable the auto updates in settings if it exists, otherwise it will probably happen again
https://whatsapp-desktop.en.uptodown.com...s/versions

The olde version I had from the last query is still a green icon
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I got the old version from your link earlier, same version, 2.2314.11 It works perfectly until this morning when the shortcut icon changed to grey, still works, anyway.

I prompts me to update every time when I launch WhatsApp, I just ignore it ...

Other than the grey icon, it works as normal ... Smile
You can change the Icon to what ever you like.

Just do a google search for "WhatsApp Icon" Theres countless to select from, download and as previously mentioned in post #4 by king1 - simply change the Icon. Some programs may need a actual .ico file, not .pgn or some other format, if you have one you like then search on line for "change .pgn to .ico" plenty of free sites to change it.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.