Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS Office 2007 restore.
As an "exercise" I have installed my old Office 2007 on a test PC that I have built up.

I have been able to locate and install the SP3 upgrade to the program. Of course, I am now unable to locate any further updates as MS no longer supported 2007 since 2017. Excel and Word work well and would be all that I need should I continue to use it.

Now to the exercise. I have Macrium backups from a previous installation of a fully updated version of 2007 and I am wondering if it is possible to somehow install this Office 2007 (no other Folders or Files) backup on my new build into the new Win 11 OS? I have tried to follow Macrium’s instructions to do the restore but am at a bit of a loss and will need further investigation.

If I was able to restore, would the program work?

As an aside, I see that there are copies of the original, boxed versions of Office 2007 for sale at around $100. Considering the program will not have, nor will be able to get upgrades to the program, these offerings will be a waste of money.
I can't see that working but have you checked that windows update does not actually install any subsequent updates, there is reference online that it may well do
https://www.tenforums.com/microsoft-offi...ost2444938

another possibility is to search the old installation for the specific update installation files, usually a something.msp or something.cab

or you can just download them from the windows catalogue, but you would need to be a bit picky about which ones you actually need, although the updates usually end up telling you if its not needed iirc
https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/Sea...ffice+2007
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
this is another option i've used in the past
https://www.wsusoffline.net/

I tried version 9.2.4 which has support for Office 2007... It *looks* like it is working but i don't have 2007 installed to see it through to completion...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Thank you for the replies and thoughts. I have found a work around. I had a very old XP HDD that had a copy of 2007 on it. I have copied the folder to the test PC. I was quite surprised to find that the program was accepted and reinitialised by Windows 11. It still doesn't answer the Macrium question, but I might leave that now for another day. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
You wont be able to put a backup from one OS to another - Meaning programs. If it were a program that only ran from a single folder then yes you could, BUT A program like office will install Hundreds of reg entries, these would be impossible to put back from one OS to another.

IF you wanted to us a upto date program, you can always run the whole OS as a virtual machine within W11.

Depending on what version of W11 ( home or pro) you can use hyper-V or a third party VM.

If you read through the posts I posted a article on how to use a Macrium Image and install on a VM a short while back.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Thankyou WT for your insight. As I said at the beginning it was only an exercise to see if I could make it work. As I mentioned in #4 above, I have found a work around that seems to work even though it is a copy that I had on an old XP HDD. The Macrium thought has now been cast aside.