Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern Music
Probably just rambling but, I have spent a bit of time checking out Taylor Swift's music after al the hoo ha about her concerts and how people paid thousands for tickets, let alone flights and accommodation across the ditch! 

Finishes my journey through the world of Tay Tay yesterday afternoon and what I have listened to gives me some thoughts on the matter.

Mainly, I have been looking for music that would be memorable. Some of her stuff is not too bad, but a lot of it is bland.
Not one tune made me want to play it again....  her voice is OK but the content of the music is bloody awful.

I wonder if instead of prancing around the stage in a skimpy outfit, she had been sitting down, playing drums, like Karen Carpenter did, whether anything would have reached No. 1 on the Top 10. Karen had an unforgettable voice that was unfortunately lost at such a young age. Will any of Taylor Swifts music be remembered 40 years hence?

As most of us know, when at an outside function when nothing much is happening, do the crown spontaneously break into a Taylor Swift song?  Nope... we all start singing Neil Diamonds "Sweet Caroline." Everybody knows it!

After coming to those conclusions I went to bed at my usual 8.30, put my headphones on and drifted off to sleep, happily listening to music like "Shine on you crazy diamond" and "Still crazy after all these years" et al.

PS, what happened to the saxophone in pop music? I really miss the cool reed pipe!

Ken  Rolleyes Rolleyes
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Ken I am sure that you are very aware that people have been making similar complaints since forever and will be doing so long after you and I have gone. At least with the use of the internet we can always find something that still works for us.
(04-07-2023, 08:12 AM)Kenj Wrote: Probably just rambling but, I have spent a bit of time checking out Taylor Swift's music after al the hoo ha about her concerts and how people paid thousands for tickets, let alone flights and accommodation across the ditch! 

Finishes my journey through the world of Tay Tay yesterday afternoon and what I have listened to gives me some thoughts on the matter.

Mainly, I have been looking for music that would be memorable. Some of her stuff is not too bad, but a lot of it is bland.
Not one tune made me want to play it again....  her voice is OK but the content of the music is bloody awful.

I wonder if instead of prancing around the stage in a skimpy outfit, she had been sitting down, playing drums, like Karen Carpenter did, whether anything would have reached No. 1 on the Top 10. Karen had an unforgettable voice that was unfortunately lost at such a young age. Will any of Taylor Swifts music be remembered 40 years hence?

As most of us know, when at an outside function when nothing much is happening, do the crown spontaneously break into a Taylor Swift song?  Nope... we all start singing Neil Diamonds "Sweet Caroline." Everybody knows it!

After coming to those conclusions I went to bed at my usual 8.30, put my headphones on and drifted off to sleep, happily listening to music like "Shine on you crazy diamond" and "Still crazy after all these years" et al.

PS, what happened to the saxophone in pop music? I really miss the cool reed pipe!

Ken  Rolleyes Rolleyes

Have you heard of the expression "target audience"?
This is the only song I really like by Taylor Swift, the video and sound combination is quite satisfying:

"Fun fact: She wrote this beautiful song in just 25 mins when she was 17."

Taylor Swift - Love Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=8xg3vE8Ie_E

Oh, too be young again.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
You sleep with headphones on?
(04-07-2023, 09:52 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: You sleep with headphones on?

Quite often, helps with pain! 

I should have put - In Ear ones. These... IE 200 | Sennheiser (sennheiser-hearing.com) ... don't even know they are there.  Then with some of that stuff for very painful buggered hips that starts with "Mo****ne" the music sounds wonderful  Tongue
I could watch her for hours....with the sound off.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing good in music has happened since the 80's.

And if someone asks me what's so good about "old" music, I direct them to a YT clip of Lynyrd Skynyrd doing Free Bird at the Oakland Coliseum Stadium in '77.
(04-07-2023, 12:43 PM)allblack Wrote: I could watch her for hours....with the sound off.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing good in music has happened since the 80's.

And if someone asks me what's so good about "old" music, I direct them to a YT clip of Lynyrd Skynyrd doing Free Bird at the Oakland Coliseum Stadium in '77.

Love "Sweet home Alabama" They were a huge loss as well. Confused

Here is a good watch on modern music being garbage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII
I don't really pay much attention to pop music so only a little of it sounds all that familiar to me. However I do follow a few bands on youtube and one of them does a lot of pop covers and a few of them are taylor swift songs which I actually rather enjoy so I think she's actually a pretty good song writer personally. Having listened to the originals though I still like the covers better. It's funny to me when I realise I know a pop song because I heard someone cover it on youtube, happens a bit actually.

I like the music I always have more than most new stuff, just like every generation before me. My dear old mum always called the pop music of my teens "just noise" and much of it is considered classics now. It's actually hard to predict what music will endure, it's often the songs nobody pays all that much attention to to begin with. A lot of 80's hair metal bands were given grief over singing ballads and those are the ones people still know Smile.

Anyway if it's of any interest here are a couple Taylor Swift covers that I liked despite not being a fan, also it's a cover band I think deserves some more views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QA676_3ttk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wwucAjjTFc
Love that cover band. However because I'm as shallow as a puddle, it's mainly because of her.

If you want another good cover band, try this:

https://youtu.be/EfT9UhKWIvM

Pina singing Gypsy is better than Stevie.