Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oppenheimer actors join strike
Over fears that AI may make their jobs obsolete, actors from the SAG ( screen actors guild) have joined writers & others on strike. I don't like the sound of that response from the studios; it seems as though they can see a future in which they can make movies without needing to pay anyone.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66196357

"The Screen Actors Guild (SAG) wants streaming giants to agree to a fairer split of profits and better working conditions.
Some 160,000 performers will stop work at midnight.
The stoppage means the vast majority of US film and TV productions will grind to a halt.
Stars Cillian Murphy, Matt Damon and Emily Blunt left the premiere of Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer in London on Thursday night as the strike was declared.
The SAG walkout starts at midnight Los Angeles time (08:00 BST). Picketing will begin on Friday morning outside the California headquarters of Netflix, before moving on to Paramount, Warner Bros and Disney.

The union - officially known as the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, or SAG-AFTRA - also wants a guarantee that artificial intelligence (AI) and computer-generated faces and voices will not be used to replace actors.

The group representing the studios, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, or AMPTP, slammed the decision.
It said "a strike is certainly not the outcome we hoped for as studios cannot operate without the performers that bring our TV shows and films to life".
"The union has regrettably chosen a path that will lead to financial hardship for countless thousands of people who depend on the industry," its statement added."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Bugger - so, it could be back to just reading books ? I read a book on Oppenheimer and the Atomic Bomb, I'm sure Hollywood will make them all look beautiful, and add drama that wasn't there...and didn't need to be, it was a crazy story.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
It might be - we humans love our stories above all else, whether its books, movies, plays or TV series, myths, legends, or storytellers. I'm not sure we could survive without them, in some form.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Its looking like a good movie, im tempted to go up to Auckland to watch it on the IMAX, I think they may even be screening it on 70mm film!
This film was a deliberate move to boost Hollywood and get the movie industry kickstarted back with a focus on getting numbers back into the cinema.
They were saying that streaming films at the same time of release has impacted the industry. They even managed to score a deal that prohibits streaming of Oppenheimer until 100 days after the release of the film.
This should hopefully get more people back to the cinema. There was a huge effort to include big names in the cast of this film, I believe the strike was carefully planned to co-inside with the premier of this film.
They are making a protest and rightly so, AI is a threat somewhat, but largely its being used to re-create dead actors for sequels in various films or as in Indiana Jones to reverse ageing, I dont think we will ever see all films go 100% AI/CGI, the closest things would really be the likes of final fantasy I guess, but its somewhat of a threat, but the audience wants to see actors for the most part, but perhaps we will see more of it on low budget films in the future?
(17-07-2023, 01:06 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Its looking like a good movie, im tempted to go up to Auckland to watch it on the IMAX, I think they may even be screening it on 70mm film!
This film was a deliberate move to boost Hollywood and get the movie industry kickstarted back with a focus on getting numbers back into the cinema.
They were saying that streaming films at the same time of release has impacted the industry. They even managed to score a deal that prohibits streaming of Oppenheimer until 100 days after the release of the film.
This should hopefully get more people back to the cinema. There was a huge effort to include big names in the cast of this film, I believe the strike was carefully planned to co-inside with the premier of this film.
They are making a protest and rightly so, AI is a threat somewhat, but largely its being used to re-create dead actors for sequels in various films or as in Indiana Jones to reverse ageing, I dont think we will ever see all films go 100% AI/CGI, the closest things would really be the likes of final fantasy I guess, but its somewhat of a threat, but the audience wants to see actors for the most part, but perhaps we will see more of it on low budget films in the future?

We could also perhaps have some sort of mix of both actual actors/writers & the AI variety of both. It would be a shame I think, to no longer have human actors, writers & others involved in making TV & movies.
AI could not replace Cillian Murphy...
(17-07-2023, 07:09 PM)Olive Wrote: AI could not replace Cillian Murphy...

NEVER! NOR Rob Carlyle either.  Smile
Can you imagine a time when AI can create the entire movie, from concept through production to finished product?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Well - I suppose that its possible but when you think of all the people that would put out of work it really doesn't seem a very good idea. However, who knows what could happen in the future - greed may get the better of those with the power to make movies however they want to & if that mean using AI, probably quite a few would have no qualms about it.
(17-07-2023, 07:17 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Well - I suppose that its possible but when you think of all the people that would put out of work it really doesn't seem a very good idea. However, who knows what could happen in the future - greed may get the better of those with the power to make movies however they want to & if that mean using AI, probably quite a few would have no qualms about it.

we might not have a choice if it was an AI that decided to make a movie... once they start thinking for themselves, become self-aware etc I wonder how long that might take...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(17-07-2023, 07:25 PM)king1 Wrote:
(17-07-2023, 07:17 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Well - I suppose that its possible but when you think of all the people that would put out of work it really doesn't seem a very good idea. However, who knows what could happen in the future - greed may get the better of those with the power to make movies however they want to & if that mean using AI, probably quite a few would have no qualms about it.

we might not have a choice if it was an AI that decided to make a movie... once they start thinking for themselves, become self-aware etc  I wonder how long that might take...

That's a particularly nasty thought...
(17-07-2023, 07:14 PM)king1 Wrote: Can you imagine a time when AI can create the entire movie, from concept through production to finished product?

It's already been done, this was back in 21 but I'm sure I read somewhere recently about another film made 100% with AI.

https://youtu.be/iJAOSTtj0OU