Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Govt warned to close youth facility
It would be nice to think that any future govt could learn from this report & take up the recommendations.

https://www.thepost.co.nz/a/politics/350...uff_skybox

"The Government was last year told to shut down a controversial youth justice residence – where boys were forced to fight and offenders later staged a rooftop stand-off.
A report by former police commissioner Mike Bush – kept secret until now – paints a horrifying picture of staff and culture inside South Auckland centre Korowai Manaaki, saying it was a “near miracle” no-one had been hurt or killed.
The review points to “under-qualified and under-prepared” workforce that was casualised, and not trained to deal with high-needs teenagers housed there.
We consider it a near miracle that death or serious injury have not occurred to date,” the report, written in July 2022, said.
It also criticised “a male-dominated and cliquey leadership ethos” and “an old-fashioned, command and control model of management.”A year after Ministry for Children Oranga Tamariki, which runs the centres, received the report into Korowai Manaaki, five teenagers escaped onto the roof, causing significant damage during a 40-hour standoff.
A sickening video then emerged just a few days later, showing a fight between two children. A staff member had filmed the video and another appeared to egg on the violence.

Effective leadership, professionalism, an outcomes focus, a safe, inclusive culture and a sense of calm must replace crisis, ad hoc reactivity and the current exclusive and disengaged internal culture,” his report recommended.
Teenagers are sent to the facilities whilst facing serious charges in the Youth Court or if sentenced to three to six months in custody. The centres are supposed to have a heavy focus on rehabilitation, with schooling, sports and cultural activities, and cooking.

But the Korowai Manaaki reviewers, which included investigator Debbie Francis and former police senior sergeant Mike Paki, found the kitchen and art studio had not been used for “many months” and other developmental, or anti-recidivism programmes were shut down during the Covid-19 pandemic."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Sounds to me like it should have been restaffed under new management rather than closed...
(07-08-2023, 01:07 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Sounds to me like it should have been restaffed under new management rather than closed...

Yeah - but that might make sense.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
yeah closing it makes zero sense - there is clearly a need for it in some form or other
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I honestly don't think this govt is even capable of hiring capable staff to fix the shitshow that it is.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
You do realise the government doesn't hire people, department heads do and they are public service employees. Governments are political entities, the departments do the work for them as they direct, but are still at arms length. Otherwise MPs could not hold more than one 'portfolio'. Public servants also stay in the job longer than your average MP, so are inclined to develop ways of doing things that are very different ti what their political head might inagine. Ever see the series 'Yes Minister' - it is enlightening. And based on a reality often not visible to the public.