Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ahhh, Spring
What's not to like!

Garden bursting into life. Fruit trees looking promising. All is well.
I hate spring especially this year with screaming winds mainly from the nor-west. The paddocks are dry already with little rain during winter and if we don't get a decent amount soon it will be a bad summer for farmers in the area. I prefer autumn and it can stay like autumn all year round, no wind and lovely sunny days, perfect apart from getting dark earlier.
Paddocks not looking too bad at the moment. Had twice the average rainfall for September so growth is good.

The wind is up today.
Been busy getting my vege garden sorted!
Have got potatoes coming away and have planted my watermelons, rockmelon and pumpkin too.
Sweetcorn about to get started and tomatoes have been planted.
....one year on

I'm not a fan of Spring. Too many winds, too much pollen flying around. Give me summer and autumn any day.

Love the sound of your garden zoomy.
Labour Weekend coming up, so I have my seedling box up and going, but so far only the beans are showing willing. Three varieties this year, the stringless runner, the short butter bean, and my favourite snake beans. I have started to empty the compost bin that rested over winter, and alongside it, on the fence line I have two big tyres, compost in, potting mix on top, and the beans are going in there. I have put in green mesh panels along the five wire fence for them to grow up, much to my neighbours hilarity. The fence divides our village off from the council reserve and I am told my beans will be harvested by strangers, but the punkins I grew along that fence survived last year, so I thought it worth a shot. Full sun, plenty of breezes, great uptapped soil for the roots to exploit, what's not to like? And within reach of my hose...

Just got to figure out a good spot for the tomatoes. Brandywine seed in three colours plus basil to go with is on the way now. So I have time to find a nice possie for their pots. This year I'm adding milk powder to the mix, might help with blossom end rot. Carrots are up, and the winter silverbeet is going to seed nicely. Every year I let that happen, and just now, with the lawn mowing contractors a bit behind, I have spotted a couple of nice clumps starting in the lawn. I shall lift them and put them somewhere less dangerous, for summer...
(09-10-2020, 10:17 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Been busy getting my vege garden sorted!
Have got potatoes coming away and have planted my watermelons, rockmelon and pumpkin too.
Sweetcorn about to get started and tomatoes have been planted.

You must have a fair-sized plot, nzoomed. Don't those things take up a bit of room?
We only have a small strip for Vegies after downsizing, so just stick with the safe options: Stringless beans, 2 tomato plants, silver beet, perpetual spinach, beetroot, peppers.
They keep us going for quite a long time. We had potatoes last year but not too successful.

Also 2 lemon trees, and a blueberry bush - we had two but one died and I think the other one needs a companion so will have to get another.
We're not really great gardeners but do our best!