Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 signs the US economy is nearing a recession have flashed in the last week
3 signs the US economy is nearing a recession have flashed in the last week, SocGen says

https://www.businessinsider.com/recessio...rds-2024-6

Alternate link:

https://archive.is/u3qjx

"Even if Armageddon looms, I guarantee the investment air will be filled with the sound of bulls singing their soft-landing siren songs," Edwards said in a recent note to clients.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
That would mean things will get even worse for some people, if not most. I'm not an economist but there surely might be some way to avoid that, or lessen the effects on those already suffering.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It sort of suggests there haven't been particularly good policy decisions made over the past 3 & 1/2 years; perhaps that is why polls are pointing towards a change happening in November.
I think it reflects worldwide cycles, and the response to international events rather than the politics of that unfortunate nation, which is clearly in need of a white knight to come riding in from stage left to save them from the disaster ahead...
(06-06-2024, 10:32 PM)dken31 Wrote: It sort of suggests there haven't been particularly good policy decisions made over the past 3 & 1/2 years; perhaps that is why polls are pointing towards a change happening in November.
I would suggest that the rot has been setting in for longer than just 3 1/2 years, and that the political destabilisation that would result in Trump regaining the power to implement his wrecking ball style of presidency is really not what the US needs at present.

The best thing that could happen in that regard would be for the orange one to fall off his perch in the near future. That would probably be a more gentle path out of the highly polarised political landscape that the US currently sees itself in.
(07-06-2024, 10:18 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 10:32 PM)dken31 Wrote: It sort of suggests there haven't been particularly good policy decisions made over the past 3 & 1/2 years; perhaps that is why polls are pointing towards a change happening in November.
I would suggest that the rot has been setting in for longer than just 3 1/2 years, and that the political destabilisation that would result in Trump regaining the power to implement his wrecking ball style of presidency is really not what the US needs at present.

The best thing that could happen in that regard would be for the orange one to fall off his perch in the near future. That would probably be a more gentle path out of the highly polarised political landscape that the US currently sees itself in.

Mmm...perhaps a very public accident, falling down the steps of his plane or something, preferably while being filmed from several angles so there can be no hint of it being anything other than an accident...?

I think the whole situation indicates quite strongly that we are indeed, idiots... Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
What though, if it was Biden who fell off the perch? Kamala would be Pres...
(07-06-2024, 03:30 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think the whole situation indicates quite strongly that we are indeed, idiots... Rolleyes Big Grin

Today I ran across a Twitter thread that had hundreds of people remarking on the shoes (sneakers) that Biden wore at his speech yesterday.  Effing idiots.
(07-06-2024, 07:36 PM)Olive Wrote:
(07-06-2024, 03:30 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think the whole situation indicates quite strongly that we are indeed, idiots... Rolleyes Big Grin

Today I ran across a Twitter thread that had hundreds of people remarking on the shoes (sneakers) that Biden wore at his speech yesterday.  Effing idiots.

Yes, as any alien who takes a look at our species must know, humans are idiots.  Rolleyes Big Grin

We keep sending our kids out to kill their kids because we've yet to learn that war doesn't bring peace & so we have ceremonies to commemorate those killed on the anniversaries of those battles deemed most important...idiocy.
It can't possibly be that difficult to change, surely.