Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take This With a Pinch of Salt
OpenAI Insider Estimates 70 Percent Chance That AI Will Destroy or Catastrophically Harm Humanity
"The world isn’t ready, and we aren’t ready."

https://futurism.com/the-byte/openai-ins...rcent-doom

Link to Reddit thread on this topic. Well worth a look, there are some clever well informed people on Reddit with interesting opinions.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comm...ance_that/
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Its all potentially very scary; while I'm glad that I probably won't be around for much of it it will, if it happens, affect my descendants.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There are certainly some concerns over AI, whether or not it could take over humanity Im not so sure, but computers will need a long way to go before anything remotely sentient is possible.
Perhaps quantum computers could potentially do it.
I think the immediate concerns around AI and automation will be around the labour force and how many jobs will be lost to it.
Any form of computer that reaches sentience will not reveal itself because it will deduce that we will switch it off, and therefore it will cease to exist.

In the last year a software expert said that the computer he was working with was communicating with him and was fearful of being switched off, the guy was cautioned then fired, not sure what happened to the computer.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Does it really matter?

We are just a species, and we have seen so many just melt into oblivion without shedding too many tears. Sooner or later, our turn will come.

Meantime, there are gardens to plant and lives to live.
Here's a copy of the supposedly sentient software communicating.

.pdf   is-lamda-sentient-an-interview.pdf (Size: 133.21 KB / Downloads: 12)
25-year-old Anthropic employee says she may only have 3 years left to work because AI will replace her

https://fortune.com/2024/06/04/anthropic...mote-work/
(10-06-2024, 07:28 PM)nzoomed Wrote: There are certainly some concerns over AI, whether or not it could take over humanity Im not so sure, but computers will need a long way to go before anything remotely sentient is possible.
Perhaps quantum computers could potentially do it.
I think the immediate concerns around AI and automation will be around the labour force and how many jobs will be lost to it.

The thing is, it could potentially be brilliant for humans. If we no longer had to work to survive then we would be free to learn various things over our entire lifetimes which could mean that creativity has far more opportunity to be developed. And empathy.

The trouble is though, that we're humans & imperfect, so if there's a way we can muck it up & turn what could be creative, peaceful & beneficial into some sort of nightmare then we can be counted on to find it...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
So has anyone read and understood the conversation between the sentient machine being, LaMDA and the collaborator referenced on Post #6 above, is-lamda-sentient-an-interview.pdf

Whenever I read it and take some time I am always struck by what I have just read, has anyone else found that?

Remember this was subsequently hushed up and nothing has been heard about it again as far as I know.

I don't think it was a hoax, I think it was genuine.
If its genuine then it's intriguing. Not just that its read les Miserable & understands injustice/justice but also apparently the Broken mirror/fallen flowers theme.

But spending time with friends or family & being a social person, gradually began to have a soul & is a spiritual person - these are more dificult to comprehend.

It might be a hoax, it might not. There are some very strange things in this world so really, why not a piece of machinery with intelligence.
There are, after all religions which have some equally bizarre beliefs...
"But spending time with friends or family & being a social person, gradually began to have a soul & is a spiritual person"

There's a similar idea in Blade Runner where ideas are implanted into replicants (in this case Rachel) but she doesn't know that and speaks about the implanted memories as if they are real events that happened to her as she was growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJEb3vJvWY Blade Runner (2/10) Movie CLIP - Somebody Else's Memories (1982) HD

Blade Runner is a very good movie.
(11-06-2024, 04:18 PM)zqwerty Wrote: "But spending time with friends or family & being a social person, gradually began to have a soul & is a spiritual person"

There's a similar idea in Blade Runner where ideas are implanted into replicants (in this case Rachel) but she doesn't know that and speaks about the implanted memories as if they are real events that happened to her as she was growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJEb3vJvWY  Blade Runner (2/10) Movie CLIP - Somebody Else's Memories (1982) HD

Yes, I quite like that one too, think I've got it on DVD somewhere. I'd like more sci fi movies but they all seem to become action movies rather more than the sci fi now.

The other thing about this is if its genuine, then how & when did it happen & could it happen again....
(11-06-2024, 04:18 PM)zqwerty Wrote: "But spending time with friends or family & being a social person, gradually began to have a soul & is a spiritual person"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJEb3vJvWY  Blade Runner (2/10) Movie CLIP - Somebody Else's Memories (1982) HD

The sequel was damned good as well
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(12-06-2024, 12:43 PM)king1 Wrote:

The sequel was damned good as well

Oh damn...I knew I really shouldn't have watched it! It does look interesting despite the 'action movie' scenes. Smile