Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More smoke and mirrors from National
on the subject of the Maths Assessment standards

Quote:Ministers are defending their approach, saying regardless of the figure the children at Year 8 are not where they should be - and the new curriculum the new data is benchmarked against is broadly at the same level as the previous one.
It follows Prime Minister Christopher Luxon and Education Minister Erica Stanford's selling their new maths policy at the National Party conference over the weekend, claiming just 22 percent of Year 8 students were at the expected standard for maths.
However, Aotearoa Educators Collective on Monday raised concerns the 22 percent figure was not comparing apples with apples because it was benchmarked against a new curriculum which was not yet being taught to Year 8 children.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/524...ent-labour
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(06-08-2024, 06:35 PM)king1 Wrote: on the subject of the Maths Assessment standards

Quote:Ministers are defending their approach, saying regardless of the figure the children at Year 8 are not where they should be - and the new curriculum the new data is benchmarked against is broadly at the same level as the previous one.
It follows Prime Minister Christopher Luxon and Education Minister Erica Stanford's selling their new maths policy at the National Party conference over the weekend, claiming just 22 percent of Year 8 students were at the expected standard for maths.
However, Aotearoa Educators Collective on Monday raised concerns the 22 percent figure was not comparing apples with apples because it was benchmarked against a new curriculum which was not yet being taught to Year 8 children.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/524...ent-labour

So - really just guesswork then, since they can't really be sure, what with it not having been taught yet... Rolleyes

How difficult can it possibly be, to ask teachers what's needed, what's likely to work best, what their experience has been fgs.  Rolleyes 

Or is their intention to bugger everything up in our education system & do away with any schools bar those which are run for profit, charter schools...?
They're a bit of a nightmare, this govt. & I've yet to meet anyone who has a word of praise for them.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(06-08-2024, 07:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 06:35 PM)king1 Wrote: on the subject of the Maths Assessment standards

So - really just guesswork then, since they can't really be sure, what with it not having been taught yet... Rolleyes

How difficult can it possibly be, to ask teachers what's needed, what's likely to work best, what their experience has been fgs.  Rolleyes 

Or is their intention to bugger everything up in our education system & do away with any schools bar those which are run for profit, charter schools...?
They're a bit of a nightmare, this govt. & I've yet to meet anyone who has a word of praise for them.

"How difficult can it possibly be, to ask teachers what's needed?"   It's difficult for the coalition government because they see everything through a competitive and political lens and regard teachers and education experts as having a self-interested agenda like themselves.   This government has no concept of sincerity, morality or ethics.
Luxon's bout of verbal diarrhea on Radio NZ was one of his worst yet!! Facts, and actual answers, seem to be foreign concepts to this clown.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programme...ection-7aa
and apparently we have a glut of nurses who can't find jobs
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/5243...icial-glut
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(06-08-2024, 08:50 PM)harm_less Wrote: Luxon's bout of verbal diarrhea on Radio NZ was one of his worst yet!! Facts, and actual answers, seem to be foreign concepts to this clown.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programme...ection-7aa

He reminds me strongly of John Key; he opens his mouth & says "Well, what I would say to you"...& then moves straight to the verbal diarrhoea. Very, very smooth talker saying essentially, nothing. Rolleyes

(06-08-2024, 10:52 PM)king1 Wrote: and apparently we have a glut of nurses who can't find jobs

How exactly, can we have a 'glut of nurses' & at the same time, a shortage of nurses....??!
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(07-08-2024, 11:54 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 10:52 PM)king1 Wrote: and apparently we have a glut of nurses who can't find jobs

How exactly, can we have a 'glut of nurses' & at the same time, a shortage of nurses....??!
The job placement system for nurse graduates is ridiculous.

My step son's partner completed her nurse qual's and went into a a kind of lottery system for placement back into the public health arena where she had been posted during her training. She ended up working for a workplace drug testing company, then a Maori health organisation and is now working in the drug rehabilitation sector for a well known social support agency. Why aren't these new trainees not being absorbed by the public sector? Bad organisation and administration, but the immigrant nurses seem to be finding their way in. Go figure.
(06-08-2024, 07:47 PM)Olive Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 07:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: So - really just guesswork then, since they can't really be sure, what with it not having been taught yet... Rolleyes

"How difficult can it possibly be, to ask teachers what's needed?"   It's difficult for the coalition government because they see everything through a competitive and political lens and regard teachers and education experts as having a self-interested agenda like themselves.   This government has no concept of sincerity, morality or ethics.

To be fair though Olive, it must be extremely difficult for them to see past those massive dollar signs in their eyes... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

(07-08-2024, 12:13 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(07-08-2024, 11:54 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: How exactly, can we have a 'glut of nurses' & at the same time, a shortage of nurses....??!
The job placement system for nurse graduates is ridiculous.

My step son's partner completed her nurse qual's and went into a a kind of lottery system for placement back into the public health arena where she had been posted during her training. She ended up working for a workplace drug testing company, then a Maori health organisation and is now working in the drug rehabilitation sector for a well known social support agency. Why aren't these new trainees not being absorbed by the public sector? Bad organisation and administration, but the immigrant nurses seem to be finding their way in. Go figure.

It just seems to be one hell of a mess, & no one appears at all keen to get to grips with fixing it.