Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Maori allowed documentary
Saw this last night; it was the first I've heard of this. How absolutely disgraceful that it was allowed to happen, & worse, continue for decades. Angry Dodgy

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv...egregation

"Producer Reikura Kahi knows No Māori Allowed will be confronting for many viewers but believes it is a story that needs telling.
The documentary turns the spotlight on Pukekohe and the South Auckland town’s history of racism and segregation.
It reveals that from 1920 until the early 1960s, Māori were barred from public toilets, segregated at the cinema and swimming baths, refused alcohol, haircuts and taxi rides, forced to stand for white bus passengers and barred from schools.
Kahi hopes the documentary sparks conversations – a lot of conversations – around the country.

It took a lot of strength, and a lot of talking to their whānau, to come to the realisation that this story is important and that it was important for them to finally find the strength to tell their story,” Kahi says, adding the women hadn’t even told their whānau much about what they had experienced.

It is the story of growing up in a town where white supremacists were so strongly supported they were able to force the local council to allow segregation.
In 1926, the White New Zealand League was incorporated in Pukekohe and Kahi says the Ku Klux Klan was also active in South Auckland at the time.
Māori families were forced to live in dirt-floored shacks – with no running water or plumbing – on the edge of town, well away from European residents. Children, who regularly died from measles, diphtheria, whooping cough and tuberculosis, were buried in unmarked graves."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
We also watched it dumbfounded that the degree of racism had actually existed in NZ. The treatment those people received was akin to something out of the worst days of apartheid South Africa and they absolutely need redress and apologies for it.
(19-10-2022, 02:10 PM)harm_less Wrote: We also watched it dumbfounded that the degree of racism had actually existed in NZ. The treatment those people received was akin to something out of the worst days of apartheid South Africa and they absolutely need redress and apologies for it.

Yes, it was certainly a shock to realise that there'd been such a degree of racism here & I hope those affected will get an apology & redress, albeit very late.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It’s a sign of the Endemic Racism of Aotearoa that instanced like this are not part of the school studies.

Yet remember the outrage on the review of NZ History?
(21-10-2022, 08:13 PM)Foal30 Wrote: It’s a sign of the Endemic Racism of Aotearoa that instanced like this are not part of the school  studies.

Yet remember the outrage on the review of NZ History?

Oh dear yes; you'd think some would prefer all that to be forgotten. As it mostly has been in most areas. I was into my 30's before I knew anything about Parihaka; I stumbled over the Ask that mountain book in the library one day.
Imo that & all of it needs to be taught in schools & looks likely to be now. Not before time.
The programme also raised the very interesting and contentious issue of "who owns history?".   A meaty subject, perhaps too complex to be addressed in a tv show.
(22-10-2022, 11:50 AM)Olive Wrote: The programme also raised the very interesting and contentious issue of "who owns history?".   A meaty subject, perhaps too complex to be addressed in a tv show.

There's a thought! It would likely be a longer running series than Coro St, with many, many differing points of view.

On the subject of Documentaries, Bryan Bruce & Moana Manaiapoto have one running on Prime, a question of justice which is a bit clumsy but interesting. Particularly when some of the relevant files have gone missing.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv...%20Justice.