Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydrogen as a fuel is not so clean, green, or economical ?
Question 
Alas, by this analysis, hydrogen proponents seem to be mostly producing hot air and CO2.
There's people on both sides of the "hydrogen as energy storage" discussion making a living out of the discussion, but not a lot of people are using hydrogen at their own expense. Huge subsidies are needed to produce and use the stuff which is currently very far from being the greenest alternative.

Bugger.

Huh
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
I remember hydrogen being promoted as a fuel more than 20 years ago - to my mind it is just another pie in the sky, like nuclear fusion.
I do have other cameras!
(19-01-2023, 08:30 AM)Praktica Wrote: I remember hydrogen being promoted as a fuel more than 20 years ago - to my mind it is just another pie in the sky, like nuclear fusion.

Both are perfect sources of energy. The problem is in the creation. 

Ken
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
An upscaled Crookes Radiometer is possibly just about as likely to succeed as a practical source of power in our lifetimes as fusion or hydrogen.
(Probably not as profitable for the promoters though.)

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
It's also the smallest molecule out there (H2) and has to be stored at pressure (or 'dissolved' into some porous medium), so will find its way through the tinyest of holes, making the task of sealing and testing all joints between manufacture, storage, transport and final use all much more of a challenge. Add in that it's odourless and explosive and you can see it is much more hazardous than the petrol/diesel we handle in unpressurised liquid form. Expect they'll have to add an odour to it like they do with LPG, but the leaky molecule issue will persist regardless.
I watched a short doco on Youtube the other night about the new BMW hydrogen powered concept engine. Apparently if you park it up for longer than 13hours it leeches all the hydrogen leaving you just enough to travel 20km.
It's hard to fly like an Eagle when surrounded by Turkeys
My stepson is a process engineer in the natural gas industry and is completely dismissive of hydrogen. Its very small molecules and explosive qualities make it extremely hard to keep contained and very hazardous when it gets loose.

This video gives an excellent appraisal of all aspects of hydrogens potential uses and its manufacture.