Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Windows Tiny10
I just spotted this and wondered how it would go on an old laptop.
Anyone tryed it?
I'm still looking for a download location.
Ive used it once on a very low powered computer with a crappy AMD E1 processor, it does make a difference, but dont expect any miracles.
(26-01-2023, 04:26 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Ive used it once on a very low powered computer with a crappy AMD E1 processor, it does make a difference, but dont expect any miracles.

AMD E1 - yuck - cpu benchmark around 350 odd - should be outlawed...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
This system is pretty lacking too.
Celeron 550 @ 2.00GHz with 2 MB memory.
It's been running on Linux for a while, but I wanted to use it for a SDR on windows software.

I've installed a 32 bit version which is running ok, definitely faster than a default version.
I have a digital license for this system, but can't seem to activate it again with this version.
Any ideas?
(27-01-2023, 04:00 PM)driftwood Wrote: I have a digital license for this system, but can't seem to activate it again with this version.
Any ideas?

Is this the tiny 10 version? i'd be surprised if it did activate being not the official version of 10.

Sometimes if you tie the original digital license to a ms account by signing in with an ms accounts - settings /users / signin options or thereabouts,  then you can transfer it to another system by again signing in to the MS account...  Depends really on how much important stuff they stripped out of it...

Another option might be just to buy a cheapie online but I couldn't vouch for the reliability or legality of these...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
According to quite a few other forums, it needs a activated with an enterprise key, so home and Pro wont work.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(26-01-2023, 04:43 PM)king1 Wrote:
(26-01-2023, 04:26 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Ive used it once on a very low powered computer with a crappy AMD E1 processor, it does make a difference, but dont expect any miracles.

AMD E1 - yuck - cpu benchmark around 350 odd - should be outlawed...

Those things are a piece of crap and I dont know how they were even able to market them, I think there is still an E4 on the market which is marginally better.
There was lots sold on the market in the days on windows 8 and they only had 2GB of ram and no SSD. We are talking about a dual core 1GHZ processor!
These things were unusable out of the box and I had clients disappointed that I couldnt do much to make their crappy $500 computer any faster. They were ripped off i told them.

Quote:Is this the tiny 10 version? i'd be surprised if it did activate being not the official version of 10.

Sometimes if you tie the original digital license to a ms account by signing in with an ms accounts - settings /users / signin options or thereabouts,  then you can transfer it to another system by again signing in to the MS account...  Depends really on how much important stuff they stripped out of it...

Another option might be just to buy a cheapie online but I couldn't vouch for the reliability or legality of these

I think what I was using was a different thing altogether, it was a downloadable app that basically strips down any bloatware and un-necessary windows services and graphics modes to make it run as fast as possible.
You could simply run it on any windows 10 install and from memory you could optionally check or uncheck elements you wanted to remove.
(27-01-2023, 06:15 PM)Wainuitech Wrote: According to quite a few other forums, it needs a activated with an enterprise key, so home and Pro wont work.

Thats the one I was looking for.
Turns out it was this I used.
Probably gives similar results without the need to perform a clean install.

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater
I might have to have a look at that as I can't activate this version.
Were you able to get updates after using debloater?
(27-01-2023, 07:19 PM)driftwood Wrote:
(27-01-2023, 06:15 PM)Wainuitech Wrote: According to quite a few other forums, it needs a activated with an enterprise key, so home and Pro wont work.

Thats the one I was looking for.

Tiny Windows 10 needed an enterprise key, but Tiny Windows 11 is based on v 22H2 10, and activates Ok. Apart from taking less drive space, Tiny Windows 10 & 11 are not noticeably faster. I installed TW11 in an HP Stream with 32 GB drive, takes less space but the performance is not faster than the full version of Windows that was in it before.
(30-01-2023, 11:21 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Turns out it was this I used.
Probably gives similar results without the need to perform a clean install.

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

Be VERY VERY careful using those scripts -- It can really stuff up your OS.

Got two computers that they were run on, both are now in need of reinstalling after doing a few updates, Photos wont open, stuffed up file Associations, cant select what to open files with.  Files wont open unless you drag the file to a program, then they open OR in the case of video , PDF's, photos you have to open the program, File - open - Select file. Tried everything to repair and both PC's are beyond help, NOTHING repairs the damage, even a complete repair install, all the "fix it commands" totally useless.

Both PC's the script was run on were working perfectly before hand. Sad
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Thanks for your help with this guys, but I've moved on from there.
I have installed Windows 10 Lite on the old lappy and it's going ok on that.
I'm able to run my SDR software portable now.