Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Sky Box
Vodafone has dumped us over to Sky and I am not quite sure where to seek some help because it is certainly not from Sky.

Using the old Vodafone box, when we switched off the TV, the box would remain on, but with the Sky box when we switch off the TV the box also switches off.

Is there any way I can change it.?
not sure about the sky box specifically but there is an HDMI function called HDMI-CEC (consumer electronics control) that can use one device to power on /off attached devices. it might be that.

There will be a setting in the system settings somewhere, I suspect in the TV but might be something in the skybox settings about it as well...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Thanks for your comments. It is not a great problem it just means that when we switch the TV off we have to make sure the box is switched back on for recordings and updates etc.
This MAY depend on which HDMI port you are using - try another.
(23-02-2023, 12:06 PM)Pato Wrote: Thanks for your comments. It is not a great problem it just means that when we switch the TV off we have to make sure the box is switched back on for recordings and updates etc.

"switch" off should mean into standby and recordings still work. Although I didn't think the new sky boxes recorded at all, and it just pulled the show from the internet as needed.
(23-02-2023, 02:01 PM)psycik Wrote:
(23-02-2023, 12:06 PM)Pato Wrote: Thanks for your comments. It is not a great problem it just means that when we switch the TV off we have to make sure the box is switched back on for recordings and updates etc.

"switch" off should mean into standby and recordings still work.  Although I didn't think the new sky boxes recorded at all, and it just pulled the show from the internet as needed.

Thats the problem there is no information easily available. Is it in standby mode. The light goes from blue to red.
Is it the Sky Box or the new Sky Pod. ???

The Pod runs off the internet where as the Box runs off a dish. The Pods don't allow recording where as the box does. If its anything like the Vodafone version there's a few power option in the Settings. By default That also turned off the Decoder.

Ours was ordered in October last year when ordering was activated, after they sent out a invoice change in March 2022, they have been pissing about getting out the Pods, as these are a replacement for the Vodafone version.

Damn sky keep changing the dates, the latest new date  is 31st March cut off.

For people who ask, here's the differences between the options.

Edited: OK helps if I put in the picture  Tongue

Using the "Hey Google" could be fun, she doesn't do what's she's told now some times or starts yapping without any commands LOL.

Just found this from Sky -- May or may not be of any use, but also may lead in the right direction

Sky power saving

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
It's the Sky Box. The Pod would have been ok by me but the boss wanted the ability to record which I guess can be useful.
(23-02-2023, 01:00 PM)decibel Wrote: This MAY depend on which HDMI port you are using - try another.

Thanks. Change of HDMI port didn't help but appreciate the suggestion.
(24-02-2023, 08:50 AM)Pato Wrote: It's the Sky Box. The Pod would have been ok by me but the boss wanted the ability to record which I guess can be useful.

We decided against the Recording option, apart from the fact its also more expensive than the Pod,  there's two options, extra $100 from the start compared to the Pod OR an extra $10 per month over the subscription monthly cost.  

In the fine print, The Extra $10 is ongoing, so that's approx. $120 each year + the option to record with My sky is also an extra $15 / month. An extra $300 / year just to record we find isn't worth it. (see picture for details) 

How many times do people record something only to never watch it, so the option to just go back 72 Hours Via the Guide is good enough (not available on the Box)

ALSO it requires a dish, and we just got rid of all those eyesores when we took the chimney out.

This is of course as soon as Sky finally manage to ship the Pods, not holding my Breath the latest due date will stick either, think they have changed the release date back 4 times now. Rolleyes

Anyone want a bet as to when it will be released Wink

(24-02-2023, 10:07 AM)Pato Wrote:
(23-02-2023, 01:00 PM)decibel Wrote: This MAY depend on which HDMI port you are using - try another.

Thanks. Change of HDMI port didn't help but appreciate the suggestion.

Try the Link  in earlier post, tells how to change power / sleep settings, generally the options are similar in most devices.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Must be my old age but I can't find the link you refer to. Please repeat it.
(24-02-2023, 12:45 PM)Pato Wrote: Must be my old age but I can't find the link you refer to. Please repeat it.

Bottom left post 7 just above the thumbnail, but here as well:  The settings should be there somewhere on the New Sky box. May have to have a poke around.

Sky Settings   <<<<<Link
I saw that, but those settings are not for the NZ Sky box, but as you say they must be available somewhere. Will keep hunting.