Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phone battery charging
Read some articles that phone batteries should not charge the phone battery to 100% every time.

Doing so will shorten the battery life. Is it true?
(02-04-2023, 07:48 PM)Galaxy01 Wrote: Read some articles that phone batteries should not charge the phone battery to 100% every time.

Doing so will shorten the battery life. Is it true?

Its an old question with batteries, many say its fine, just as Meany will say exactly opposite.

Google it --- https://www.androidcentral.com/it-safe-c...ll-way-100
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
I did a lot of 'research' on batteries before taking the leap into an EV.

Essentially Li Ion batteries will degrade fastest if they are charged to 100%, and/or discharged deeply, and/or are not temperature controlled during charging.

In the case of a phone there's little option for heat management. I sit mine down on top of the (not in use) microwave, hoping the metal surface will help disipate a bit of heat.

If the phone says 60 minutes to charge, then I set a timer for 45 minutes so I can unplug it before it hits 100% (I aim for 80% roughly).

Likewise, I don't use it for general browsing and time wasting BS, so it doesn't get dieeply discharged before the next chargng cycle.

I can go more than 2 weeks without needing to recharge it, and this is after 5 years of use. It has hit 100% on a few occasions, and 0% just once.
Fully charge mine every morning before work, 3 years in and it only looses 10% more than it did at the start. EV's supposedly loose 2% per year.
It's hard to fly like an Eagle when surrounded by Turkeys
I was told all batteries are heat sensitive and perform poorly at lower temperatures, that trickle charging slowly over longer periods is best and that fully charged is good fully discharged is not.

I do think though, like everything else, there are many experts and they are all of differing opinions.
First off, a battery is an assembly of cells to give the desired capacity. Most cell phones now available have a single Lithium Cell. (That's different to the Cell in cellular phone.) So, no battery any more. The grammar police can do what they want with that.
"Fully Charged" is a bit of a variable, just like "Fully Discharged". It used to have a meaning, but now the meaning depends on who you are talking to. When your phone advises that it is fully charged, it means the manufacturer has decided that what you've got is all they want you to have. If you charge a LiPo battery to the maximum it can hold, it will quietly (hopefully) start damaging itself The internal connections of some batteries will start transferring by electroplating from where they were designed to be to where they short out areas of the electrodes. No good for the leads, definitely not good for the electrodes and possibly rather inflammatory for your lithium cell and / or your pocket.
When the marketing division of the manufacturer is the sole arbiter of the phone specification it is likely that they will quote a cell capacity that is bigger than the opposition claims for theirs. Thus, the specifications tend to rise above reality as the price point goes down. Reputable manufacturers have a tendency to be quite conservative as far as specifications go. They are also conservative on the settings for the charge/discharge controller and so the setting for "Fully charged" is set with more priority given to the cell lifetime performance, this is allied to a higher grade of cell (dearer) than the more bargain priced units use.
Basically, a high end phone has a better cell, more conservatively operated for enhanced safety and durability. The more bargain priced phones are optimised for marketing impressions. A good phone looks after your lithium cell rather carefully regardless of what you do. For bargain phones, you have to determine the charge / discharge conditions to give the result you desire. This is not always easy, or even possible especially given the supplied charger is likely optimised for production cost to be as cheap as possible while not being unacceptably dangerous or harmful to the low-cost cell used..
Kindness to your cell charging routines can be very helpful to "economy" phones, and not at all harmful to flagship phones.
Slower charging is always better than fast, but by how much is variable.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Well, my brand new Nokia dumb phone is sitting on the charger right now while this dummy works out the Quick Start instructions, which may well prove several levels above my expertise. I did manage to break into the thing and insert the battery. The third kind of inserting worked, lol, now I am just trying to work out what this sim card business is all about, seeing my previous new ones were all done for me in the shop, this one came from Spark via online and courier.

I may have to scoot into Takapuna and find a mobile shop so they can sort me out.

It is all good brain exercise I keep telling myself. If not so good for my overblown ego.

Edited to add - Nope, can be done online, so new sim on the way. I am impressed with my tech growing savviness. Not.
A phone that has a removable source of electric imps has a fair advantage over phones that die on economic grounds because of the cell cost plus labour to fit new lithium in and neatly glue the whole shebang into a single lump again. However, said openable phones are only good for ringing up or being rung up. They don't tell you when to duck because the ISS is making a low pass, and they are rather painful to read barcodes with - as for recording and measuring earthquakes, you might as well not even have earthquakes. Pffft.
Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Ah, forgot a rather important bit.
The first charge of a new phone is very important in many models. The phone is shipped partially charged in a rather special manner. It is in a state optimised for storage for possibly a long time. The initial charge cycle is not a standard charging cycle; for optimum life of the lithium cell, or on old style units ni-cad or ni-mh requires a prolonged charge cycle to stir up the chemistry and switch from a prolonged storage state to a normal operating cycle. Since it is often tricky to determine if your phone is affected by this, leave your new phone on charge for a prolonged period. 20hours is pretty good but more is better.. If your phone is one that needs this long charge, neglecting it can cost you money in reduced battery performance and a shortened life. a well designed phone, even if it doesn't need the prolonged charge, will not be harmed by it. Toaster shop phones are not going to have much battery life, except for people who normally win lotteries anyway.
You could RTFM of course, but who wants to be first inn their province to try that gimmick?
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(20-04-2023, 09:20 PM)R2x1 Wrote: Ah, forgot a rather important bit.
The first charge of a new phone is very important in many models. The phone is shipped partially charged in a rather special manner. It is in a state optimised for storage for possibly a long time. The initial charge cycle is not a standard charging cycle; for optimum life of the lithium cell, or on old style units ni-cad or ni-mh requires a prolonged charge cycle to stir up the chemistry and switch from a prolonged storage state to a normal operating cycle. Since it is often tricky to determine if your phone is affected by this, leave your new phone on charge for a prolonged period. 20hours is pretty good but more is better.. If your phone is one that needs this long charge, neglecting it can cost you money in reduced battery performance and a shortened life. a well designed phone, even if it doesn't need the prolonged charge, will not be harmed by it.  Toaster shop phones are not going to have much battery life, except for people who normally win lotteries anyway.
You could RTFM of course, but who wants to be first inn their province to try that gimmick?

Now you tell me. Having charged the new one for two hours till the green came on...

But, seeing I have to wait patiently for the sim, I shall plug it in tonight and let it trickle.

Btw, I really like having a phone with a radio again. Not such a dumb phone after all.  Big Grin
(20-04-2023, 09:43 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(20-04-2023, 09:20 PM)R2x1 Wrote: Ah, forgot a rather important bit.
The first charge of a new phone is very important in many models. The phone is shipped partially charged in a rather special manner. It is in a state optimised for storage for possibly a long time. The initial charge cycle is not a standard charging cycle; for optimum life of the lithium cell, or on old style units ni-cad or ni-mh requires a prolonged charge cycle to stir up the chemistry and switch from a prolonged storage state to a normal operating cycle. Since it is often tricky to determine if your phone is affected by this, leave your new phone on charge for a prolonged period. 20hours is pretty good but more is better.. If your phone is one that needs this long charge, neglecting it can cost you money in reduced battery performance and a shortened life. a well designed phone, even if it doesn't need the prolonged charge, will not be harmed by it.  Toaster shop phones are not going to have much battery life, except for people who normally win lotteries anyway.

Now you tell me. Having charged the new one for two hours till the green came on...

But, seeing I have to wait patiently for the sim, I shall plug it in tonight and let it trickle.

Btw, I really like having a phone with a radio again. Not such a dumb phone after all.  Big Grin
The radio is certainly handy, but the first Nokia I had with a wee flashlight was just so handy, so often  . . . .
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(21-04-2023, 08:20 AM)R2x1 Wrote:
(20-04-2023, 09:43 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Now you tell me. Having charged the new one for two hours till the green came on...

The radio is certainly handy, but the first Nokia I had with a wee flashlight was just so handy, so often  . . . .
Many phones have a torch app that can be downloaded and installed.
(21-04-2023, 11:56 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(21-04-2023, 08:20 AM)R2x1 Wrote: The radio is certainly handy, but the first Nokia I had with a wee flashlight was just so handy, so often  . . . .
Many phones have a torch app that can be downloaded and installed.

This one has a torch too, and some of the early games apparently. But the thing I am most noticing at this early stage is just how long making a text takes with no touch screen and those blasted multichoice alphanumeric buttons. I can see me resorting to txtspk smply 2 spd up.

Still liking it though! And I am becoming very grateful for youtubers who teach us the finer points of using our new phones. One showed me how to shut down that damned key sound last night. More lessons planned for today.

And apparently the battery lasts 28 hours...
(22-04-2023, 10:57 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(21-04-2023, 11:56 AM)harm_less Wrote: Many phones have a torch app that can be downloaded and installed.

This one has a torch too, and some of the early games apparently. But the thing I am most noticing at this early stage is just how long making a text takes with no touch screen and those blasted multichoice alphanumeric buttons. I can see me resorting to txtspk smply 2 spd up.

Still liking it though! And I am becoming very grateful for youtubers who teach us the finer points of using our new phones. One showed me how to shut down that damned key sound last night. More lessons planned for today.

And apparently the battery lasts 28 hours

My lithium cell has lasted 18 months already . . .

Rolleyes   Muscle   Rofl
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(22-04-2023, 03:03 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
(22-04-2023, 10:57 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: This one has a torch too, and some of the early games apparently. But the thing I am most noticing at this early stage is just how long making a text takes with no touch screen and those blasted multichoice alphanumeric buttons. I can see me resorting to txtspk smply 2 spd up.

And apparently the battery lasts 28 hours

My lithium cell has lasted 18 months already . . .

Rolleyes   Muscle   Rofl

Love it, another good chuckle for the day!
Serves you right for buying a cheap phone. Big Grin   Evilgrin  Evilgrin
Great phones have 35 year energy stores (longer if you charge 'em occasionally), a 1200 km blue tooth range and a few thousand Amp Hours of continuous video calling time.  Mine is of course a couple of orders of magnitude better than this plus Pan Galactic WiFi range even on cloudy days / nights as the sales lady has assured me. Also, every 7 years I get 12.548 minutes of data - free. I'm impressed, and never mind her (sales lady's) appearance, pretty important since SWMBO's funeral was only yesterday, she (sales person) is very earnest indeed  Apropos, if you wondered why it has rained for the last 15 Hours - wonder no more, just be happy SWMBO's lightning hasn't happened near you yet. SWMBO will get to your area after she's finished with my 7 yrs of personal tempests and plagues.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(22-04-2023, 07:34 PM)R2x1 Wrote: Serves you right for buying a cheap phone. Big Grin   Evilgrin  Evilgrin
Great phones have 35 year energy stores (longer if you charge 'em occasionally), a 1200 km blue tooth range and a few thousand Amp Hours of continuous video calling time.  Mine is of course a couple of orders of magnitude better than this plus Pan Galactic WiFi range even on cloudy days / nights as the sales lady has assured me. Also, every 7 years I get 12.548 minutes of data - free. I'm impressed, and never mind her (sales lady's) appearance, pretty important since SWMBO's funeral was only yesterday, she (sales person) is very earnest indeed  Apropos, if you wondered why it has rained for the last 15 Hours - wonder no more, just be happy SWMBO's lightning hasn't happened near you yet. SWMBO will get to your area after she's finished with my 7 yrs of personal tempests and plagues.

Wink

I have the distinct impression you earned every second of those interesting times...  Tongue
Not everything that is promoted is good enough....
(22-04-2023, 09:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(22-04-2023, 07:34 PM)R2x1 Wrote: Serves you right for buying a cheap phone. Big Grin   Evilgrin  Evilgrin

Wink

I have the distinct impression you earned every second of those interesting times...  Tongue

Did my best Smile
Entropy is not what
it used to be.