Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List of PC's running Office.
I have Windows Office 2007 installed on an earlier and now defunct PC. As time went on, I installed 2007 on other PCs and stupidly did not keep a note of them. I did load a copy of Office 2019 on my present PC. I have built another PC and want to add Office to it. I am now informed that I have exceeded the number of devices that the 2007 will allow.

My query is, how can I find out what devices have had Office attached to them so I can eliminate them and transfer the Office program accordingly? I assume Microsoft have something on their servers but how do I get the answers?
They were never tied to an MS account back then so there is nowhere you can look, other than on the suspect PCs. I am not sure it will actually help though, I think back then it was just a limit on the total number of installs and how often...

TBH though I would suspect you will have trouble activating it anyway. MS really want you to buy a new version and go out of their way to encourage it
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Just stick softmaker freeoffice on it looks just like older versions and works pretty much the same anyway
It's hard to fly like an Eagle when surrounded by Turkeys
(01-06-2023, 07:53 PM)king1 Wrote: They were never tied to an MS account back then so there is nowhere you can look, other than on the suspect PCs.  I am not sure it will actually help though, I think back then it was just a limit on the total number of installs and how often...

TBH though I would suspect you will have trouble activating it anyway.  MS really want you to buy a new version and go out of their way to encourage it

How come MS can now say after all these years that I have used up my three installs if there isn't data on a server that they readily can access?
(03-06-2023, 11:42 AM)Bryan Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 07:53 PM)king1 Wrote: They were never tied to an MS account back then so there is nowhere you can look, other than on the suspect PCs.  I am not sure it will actually help though, I think back then it was just a limit on the total number of installs and how often...

TBH though I would suspect you will have trouble activating it anyway.  MS really want you to buy a new version and go out of their way to encourage it

How come MS can now say after all these years that I have used up my three installs if there isn't data on a server that they readily can access?
They do have that data on a server somewhere, that is how they know.  
But AFAIK they don't give end users a way to interrogate that data, and for privacy reasons it probably doesn't include anything meaningful that would allow you to identify the actual device.  I would guess they create a device profile made up of things like mobo models, serial numbers, n/w mac addresses etc 

Either that or they are just saying no to every activation.

From here it suggests online activation is a no go and you need to use country specific telephone activation
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msof...4f073f20d6
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Basically at the end of the day there's no way they will be able to help deactivate Office 2007. All support for Office 2007 ended on October 10th 2017, that means NO Support at all. Even activating it may be a bit of "Fun" Its simply to old. From Microsoft ------ Microsoft no longer provides technical support and security updates for it.

You can try calling on their old number, but I wouldn't like the chances of success 0800 676 334

These days even with 1 time Purchased Software Eg: home and student, you have to create an account, this allows you to download as well as disable devices ( from memory), I know you can via Office 365

As Gary posted "softmaker freeoffice " is a good free one, and its always upto date, or even OnlyOffice
Links: Free Office https://www.freeoffice.com/en/ OnlyOffice https://www.onlyoffice.com/desktop.aspx
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.