Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmers need our support, boycott countdown
Groundswell doing a great job but sadly too many townies see them as villains destroying the climate.
Look what countdown are doing.
Their prices are bad enough anyway, but with this carry on, expect to pay more for your food.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/ne...permarkets

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/1...sions-data
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Plenty of farmers are getting very proactive about water pollution, environmental protection, regenerative farming and modern sustainable low emission agricultural practices. Why is Groundswell not celebrating them and their efforts instead of supporting the other kind of farmers?

While there definitely is a case for supermarkets to be spotlit for excessive profits and hard bargaining with their suppliers, the bigger retail chains are certainly very aware of their costs and are proactive in reducing them - that is easy profit after all. If only the old school ag industry was so efficient.
Heck - if groundswell don't like them, they must be great!
I do have other cameras!
Sorry, can't boycott countdown as I don't go there anyway. Mainly because their meat is pumped full of water and then sold at a higher price than other supermarkets.
The Countdown in Colombo St Chch always has this "down and out" feeling about it, I go there as little as possible.

It's a comparatively modern building and I can't say why it always gives me this impression. Something "shoddy" or "rundown" about the interior of the place.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I think perhaps Groundswell needs to come into the 21st century.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Not shopping at countdown is a no brainer, not only do they rip us off, their billions of dollars go back to Australia.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
I think in general Countdown is cheaper overall than New World which is relentlessly putting up prices every week.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
All the supermarkets are ripping us off I learned very quickly after going to costco how much the markup must be on products at the supermarkets. It does vary between products, but overall it would average out at around 40% less than doing my shop at New World. Pak N Save is only marginally cheaper at times, depending on the products, for example things like Pet food for some reason was actually more expensive than New World or Countdown.
Interesting survey results out that indicate CD is now the most expensive supermarket, beating out New World. Maybe they are prepping for Woolworths pricing, lol...

The only time I shop there is when I need marinara mix for a seafood pie, or when my need for frozen yoghurt blocks gets beyond ignoring. I do like frozen yoghurt...

Otherwise it's the local New World for me.
We have a Countdown in town, so to go anywhere else means a trip to the city, which would negate any savings on food. Although, on a trip to the city I put my pushbike in the back, and have a ride after.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I have no other option - Countdown is the only one within biking distance, doing groceries by bus isn't feasible & I dislike \online shopping unless its really necessary.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(29-07-2023, 10:58 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Interesting survey results out that indicate CD is now the most expensive supermarket, beating out New World. Maybe they are prepping for Woolworths pricing, lol...

The only time I shop there is when I need marinara mix for a seafood pie, or when my need for frozen yoghurt blocks gets beyond ignoring. I do like frozen yoghurt...

Otherwise it's the local New World for me.

I still prefer new world overall, even if it costs more. If there are good savings to be made on the likes of meat, etc I will go to P&S, countdown is hands down the most expensive for sure and new world is somewhere in the middle.
We definitely need more competition, I know that ALDI made a huge impact on prices when Australia got it.
(29-07-2023, 04:43 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I have no other option - Countdown is the only one within biking distance,  doing groceries by bus isn't feasible & I dislike \online shopping unless its really necessary.

I'm forced to go there at times too, especially after our local store shortened their opening hours, they close at 8PM now.
(31-07-2023, 12:44 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(29-07-2023, 04:43 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I have no other option - Countdown is the only one within biking distance,  doing groceries by bus isn't feasible & I dislike \online shopping unless its really necessary.

I'm forced to go there at times too, especially after our local store shortened their opening hours, they close at 8PM now.
I think ours is still open till about 10, but haven't really looked - I tend to go as early as I can to avoid loads of people so usually around 9 ish, because earlier & they haven't finished getting all the fruit & veg out.
(31-07-2023, 03:40 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(31-07-2023, 12:44 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I'm forced to go there at times too, especially after our local store shortened their opening hours, they close at 8PM now.
I think ours is still open till about 10, but haven't really looked - I tend to go as early as I can to avoid loads of people so usually around 9 ish, because earlier & they haven't finished getting all the fruit & veg out.

After the first COVID lockdown, our new world started to close at 9PM and never went back to 10PM.

Now they have introduced winter hours closing at 8PM, not too sure the exact reason, but our countdown closes at 10PM, and I think P&S still closes at 10PM too thinking about it.