Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Amazon; carbon credits, tipping point
Said last year to be reaching the tipping point, the Amazon may be used as a means of gaining carbon credits in a land grab.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60650415

[b]"The Amazon rainforest is moving towards a "tipping point" where trees may die off en masse, say researchers.[/b]
A study suggests the world's largest rainforest is losing its ability to bounce back from damage caused by droughts, fires and deforestation.
Large swathes could become sparsely forested savannah, which is much less efficient than tropical forest at sucking carbon dioxide from the air.

The giant forest traps carbon that would otherwise add to global warming.

But previous studies have shown that parts of the Amazon are now emitting more carbon dioxide than can be absorbed.
"The trees are losing health and could be approaching a tipping point - basically, a mass loss of trees," said Dr Chris Boulton of the University of Exeter.

The findings, based on three decades of satellite data, show alarming trends in the "health" of the Amazon rainforest.

There are signs of a loss of resilience in more than 75% of the forest, with trees taking longer to recover from the effects of droughts largely driven by climate change as well as human impacts such as deforestation and fires.
A vicious cycle of damage could trigger "dieback", the scientists said."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-66435166

[b]"This week, delegates arriving in Belém's international airport are being welcomed with a lively "Boi de mascara" folkloric dance routine. In fact, the whole city is celebrating being in the spotlight, playing host to the Amazon Summit.[/b]

It also feels like a bit of a warm-up for 2025 when the city hosts COP30. These two events are a big deal for this part of Brazil - a region that often feels forgotten. Belém's well-placed too, as the capital of Pará, the most deforested state in all of Brazil.

President Lula da Silva called this summit to bring together the eight South American countries who share a slice of the Amazon.

It's the first time in 45 years that there's been a meeting like this, ensuring a regional response to combat crime and deforestation as well as climate change.

"I think the world needs to look at this meeting in Belém as a milestone," Lula told the BBC last week.

"I've participated in several meetings and many times they talk, talk, talk, approve a document and nothing happens. This meeting is the first great opportunity for people to show the world what we want to do."

President Lula da Silva has promised to reverse rising deforestation seen under his predecessor Jair Bolsonaro. In July this year, deforestation fell 66% compared with 2022 and Lula's committed to zero deforestation by 2030.

"You have no idea how much pressure there was in our community from the Bolsonaro government," says Robson Gonçalves Machado, who lives on the banks of the River Acangatá. "Landowners circling in planes, soya farmers wanting to buy the land to deforest it."

While Pará is well-known as the epicentre of Brazil's deforestation, more recently it's also become an appealing prospect for another burgeoning forest industry - carbon credits.

The way it works is this: an organisation that pollutes can buy a credit which is worth one tonne of carbon dioxide - so for every tonne of CO2 emitted, the credit represents a tonne of CO2 that was captured.

Those credits are bought and sold and their prices are determined like any other market. With the World Bank estimating the carbon credit market in the forest is worth $210bn (£165bn) a year, there's huge potential.

Carbon credit companies operating in Ilha do Marajó have been accused of harassing people into contracts, pressuring people to be a part of their projects, without actually giving them much detail.

Pará's public prosecutor has since got involved to halt projects that have caused concern. The market still remains unregulated although Lula has promised to address this."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Deforestation has slowed enormously since the change in leadership. I wish the rest of the them would pay attention.
(08-08-2023, 03:11 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Deforestation has slowed enormously since the change in leadership. I wish the rest of the them would pay attention.

That would be excellent - either some of them don't comprehend or do - & just don't care as long as they can make money. Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
They are making good progress in the Amazon and ACT will allow us to claim carbon credits from the Amazon tree planting programs instead of NZ getting taken over in pine trees.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(08-08-2023, 10:27 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: They are making good progress in the Amazon and ACT will allow us to claim carbon credits from the Amazon tree planting programs instead of NZ getting taken over in pine trees.
ACT, their environmental credentials are well regarded Rolleyes
(09-08-2023, 02:08 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(08-08-2023, 10:27 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: They are making good progress in the Amazon and ACT will allow us to claim carbon credits from the Amazon tree planting programs instead of NZ getting taken over in pine trees.
ACT, their environmental credentials are well regarded Rolleyes

It's called common sense.
(09-08-2023, 09:52 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 02:08 PM)harm_less Wrote: ACT, their environmental credentials are well regarded Rolleyes

It's called common sense.

Really? Since when has destroying the Amazon rain forest in order tio make money  been in any way 'common sense'?
Dodgy
(10-08-2023, 12:07 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 09:52 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: It's called common sense.

Really? Since when has destroying the Amazon rain forest in order tio make money  been in any way 'common sense'?
Dodgy

Did you actually bother to read what I just said?
ACT want to allow the ETS to include carbon credits from international efforts including but not limited to replanting the amazon.
Replanting the amazon is going to be far more beneficial than planting NZ out in pine trees.
Their government has made meaningful change already and de-forestation has already been cut by 2 thirds since Brazils new president has taken power, it shows it can be done. The whole world needs to put their money where its mouth is and instead of making weapons actually start replanting trees and we will actually do humanity a favor.
(12-08-2023, 01:06 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 12:07 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Really? Since when has destroying the Amazon rain forest in order tio make money  been in any way 'common sense'?
Dodgy

Did you actually bother to read what I just said?
ACT want to allow the ETS to include carbon credits from international efforts including but not limited to replanting the amazon.
Replanting the amazon is going to be far more beneficial than planting NZ out in pine trees.
Their government has made meaningful change already and de-forestation has already been cut by 2 thirds since Brazils new president has taken power, it shows it can be done. The whole world needs to put their money where its mouth is and instead of making weapons actually start replanting trees and we will actually do humanity a favor.

ACT is interested in making money; in helping businesses make money. The environment (if it features at all) is way down their list.

And if the fate of the Amazon was solely in their hands, then we might just as well give up now.
(12-08-2023, 03:23 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(12-08-2023, 01:06 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Did you actually bother to read what I just said?

ACT is interested in making money; in helping businesses make money. The environment (if it features at all) is way down their list.

And if the fate of the Amazon was solely in their hands, then we might just as well give up now.

Their environmental policies are pretty sound.
Carbon credits for native trees in the Amazon is a win win.
Planting pines in NZ is not sustainable and even the greens admit they got it wrong.
I'm also super excited to hear that luxon wants to reopen the coal mines and export the stuff. Perhaps pike river can be reopened, they should send it up to Glenbrook.
Well, he can't reopen Huntly East, it's flooded and Lake Kimihia is growing daily.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(13-08-2023, 09:20 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Well, he can't reopen Huntly East, it's flooded and Lake Kimihia is growing daily.

I thought the Huntly mine was mothballed, buy either way, it's not exactly hard to switch on the pumps  and drain the mine of water. They have a ton of coal.
(13-08-2023, 09:00 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(12-08-2023, 03:23 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: ACT is interested in making money; in helping businesses make money. The environment (if it features at all) is way down their list.

Their environmental policies are pretty sound.
Planting pines in NZ is not sustainable and even the greens admit they got it wrong.
I'm also super excited to hear that luxon wants to reopen the coal mines and export the stuff. Perhaps pike river can be reopened, they should send it up to Glenbrook.

Dear jaysus - the man's demented!  Dodgy

How the devil can anyone seriously even think of opening coal mines again, given the state of the planet. Money above all else apaprently. Dodgy

And frankly, unless they want a war on their hands, I wouldn't advise anyone - especially a right wing PM - to go anywhere near Pike river mine. Surely even Luxon & co would have more intelligence & sensitivity than that. Angry
(13-08-2023, 10:34 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I thought the Huntly mine was mothballed, buy either way, it's not exactly hard to switch on the pumps  and drain the mine of water. They have a ton of coal.

Not a hope, everything is stripped out, above and below ground, no buildings left, nothing. The lake is filling, and lots of planting happening for the reserve it will be in a few years. The open cast Huntly West mine is still operating, it's a huge hole in the ground.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(13-08-2023, 09:00 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: ...
I occasionally wonder, CT, if you are a satirist.   After this remark I'm pretty sure you are.
(14-08-2023, 06:47 PM)Olive Wrote:
(13-08-2023, 09:00 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: ...
I occasionally wonder, CT, if you are a satirist.   After this remark I'm pretty sure you are.

Interesting idea,that... Rolleyes
(14-08-2023, 12:04 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(13-08-2023, 09:00 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Their environmental policies are pretty sound.

Dear jaysus - the man's demented!  Dodgy

How the devil can anyone seriously even think of opening coal mines again, given the state of the planet. Money above all else apaprently. Dodgy

And frankly, unless they want a war on their hands, I wouldn't advise anyone - especially a right wing PM - to go anywhere near Pike river mine. Surely even Luxon & co would have more intelligence & sensitivity than that. Angry

The planet will be fine, the climate has always changed, all this coal came from trees to begin with.
We still export coal anyway and this govt doesnt care.
the best thing we can do is use our high quality coal, build more coal power stations and use it in our steel mill.
$200 million taxpayer dollars going to the steel mill just to make it run on electricity which will place more demand on the Huntly power station is hypocritical anyway.
(15-08-2023, 10:14 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(14-08-2023, 12:04 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Dear jaysus - the man's demented!  Dodgy

The planet will be fine, the climate has always changed, all this coal came from trees to begin with.
the best thing we can do is use our high quality coal, build more coal power stations and use it in our steel mill.
$200 million taxpayer dollars going to the steel mill just to make it run on electricity which will place more demand on the Huntly power station is hypocritical anyway.

I believe we are exporting high grade West Coast coal bringing in a high price and importing cheap low grade coal from Indonesia for power generation
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(15-08-2023, 10:19 AM)Kenj Wrote:
(15-08-2023, 10:14 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: The planet will be fine, the climate has always changed, all this coal came from trees to begin with.

I believe we are exporting high grade West Coast coal bringing in a high price and importing cheap low grade coal from Indonesia for power generation
The coal generation situation is soon to be replaced by the raft of renewable generation currently in the proposal and construction phases. Coal is very much last century's energy source.