Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B & W photography
If you are interested in this subject, you may enjoy this quality work. As a person with some years experience of this sort of photography, I am so impressed by her work of street photography. (Same camera that I used. Cool )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PndV7QfWKTI
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Some years ago I saw the movie that was inspired by the discovery of the large collection of negatives that Vivien Maier stored away but were never seen during her lifetime. The video link above raises the question, "why did she take so many photographs and nor show them to anyone?" Most of us amateurs who like to play with photography want to show at least some pictures to others in the hope that they will attract a positive comment. Vivian Maier was different, and we must conclude that she photographed for herself. Something in a scene must have resonated with her so that she wanted to preserve it, but not communicate to other people.

The website devoted to her includes a description of her as seen by others that is probably as close to the truth as we are likely to get:

"The personal accounts from people who knew Vivian are all very similar. She was eccentric, strong, heavily opinionated, highly intellectual, and intensely private. She wore a floppy hat, a long dress, wool coat, and men’s shoes and walked with a powerful stride. With a camera around her neck whenever she left the house, she would obsessively take pictures, but never showed her photos to anyone. An unabashed and unapologetic original."
https://www.vivianmaier.com/
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I've been into photography for more than 50 years, and I still use monochrome film. I haven't, though, taken an interest in Vivian Maier. The whole story of her "discovery" seemed synthetic, to me...too much like someone looking to make their fortune from it.
I do have other cameras!
There is a discussion post here about this topic at a photographic forum.
I do have other cameras!