Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
K -Lite Codecs Programmes useful?
I switch between latest versions of VLC, KM Player and Daum Pot Player for watching videos -DVDs via my USB connected . external DVD writer/player.

Periodically a DVD will only play in 1 or 2 of those programmes  (discovered when I try to play it).
Filepuma advertises various versions of K-Lite Codec which supposedly enables better interaction with all media formats.

Is there any gain for me if I install one of the options or is it just marketing hype?
I had believed that e.g. VLC would automatically connect with the correct codec.

Guidance please
thanks
Neil
(12-11-2023, 08:54 PM)Neil F Wrote: I switch between latest versions of VLC, KM Player and Daum Pot Player for watching videos -DVDs via my USB connected . external DVD writer/player.

Periodically a DVD will only play in 1 or 2 of those programmes  (discovered when I try to play it).
Filepuma advertises various versions of K-Lite Codec which supposedly enables better interaction with all media formats.

Is there any gain for me if I install one of the options or is it just marketing hype?
I had believed that e.g. VLC would automatically connect with the correct codec.

Guidance please
thanks
Neil

VLC used to ignore any system loaded Codecs - that's why it was so powerful, and so frustrating - "but it plays in vlc why wont it play in X".
VLC I think shares a log of code with ffmpeg for how it runs.   Typically if it wont run in vlc it corrupt or some really weird codec - that probably wont exist in k-lite as well.