Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Junk mail discussion
Spam seems worse lately so I counted today's. 20 total including the 8 that landed in junk folder.
It might be am noticing more now because my phone gives a little ding with each arrival. Feels like it was more, but it might be the annoyance factor.

Am guessing junk must work some 0.00001% of the time else they'd quit altogether.
What are the latest workarounds?

Windows 10 home 22H2
Windows Mail, (but getting pestered to switch to new Outlook).

Dodgy
Thanks.
Yu don't tell us who your mail server is. That's where most spam protection occurs, not on the client.
I use gmail. No spam gets to my inbox...
I use Mailwasher so the questionable emails are displayed on a proxy and I can delete or bounce them as applicable.
Between MW and ESET antivirus our defences are pretty robust.
So, I have 4 email addresses, 2 hotmail and 2 G-mail. One of the hotmail which I've had since 1995 is getting the pasting with 99% of incoming junk. I believe hotmail is controlled by Microsoft servers.

A quick look just now and I've deleted 10 junk mails already for today 13th Monday., plus another 1 that landed in Junk folder, so that's 11 and the day is only half way over.

The emails look visually similar like they're coming from the same source. The graphics are obviously made in the same place and the way they address me, using part of my email address as if its' my name. Easy to spot and the repetition surely wouldn't fool anyone.

I've been simply deleting the junk, often not even opening them. Am I better to "Mark as Junk", does this have any policy effect from the system being able to learn?

Is the new Outlook promising to deal with this? I suppose AI will be the next thing to combat spam.
(13-11-2023, 10:00 AM)harm_less Wrote: I use Mailwasher so the questionable emails are displayed on a proxy and I can delete or bounce them as applicable.
Between MW and ESET antivirus our defences are pretty robust.

Great Program for spam, catches everything. 

Just a side note, if its playing up today its a problem with Mailwasher pro. Contacted them and something went wrong with a update last night, Version 7.12.173, (1st time in 20 years since I been using it) 

They know about it  and working on the problem, and provided links to a older version that does still work.

Working Version  7.12.25
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
@Wainuitech, thanks for the heads up. No problems for me so far and looking at the recycle bin nothing in there that shouldn't be. 

I did note 110 recycled emails over the last 30 days. Honestly I can see how those using smartphones to access their emails get caught out. Mailwasher provides so much embedded info for incoming emails that the dodgy ones are relatively easy to spot but otherwise some would be sitters for clicking on bad links.
I have a Junk rule in Outlook that sends everything to the junk folder and I manually set it to Never Block Sende and this has been great over the past few years but now the spammers have changed their from address and have removed the @ on it so the junk rule doesn't catch them . Fortunately there is a workaround via an Outlook rules setup.
(17-11-2023, 09:53 AM)paulw Wrote: I have a Junk rule in Outlook that sends everything to the junk folder and I manually set it  to  Never Block Sende and this has been great over the past few years but now  the spammers have changed their from address and have removed the @ on it so the junk rule doesn't catch  them .  Fortunately there is a workaround  via an Outlook rules setup.

This is just one reason Mailwasher is so good, it looks at all your mail before it even gets to your computer. (this is mail that's brought into your PC, through a Actual Program, Outlook, Emclient, Thunderbird etc).

You tell it to either allow or not allow the mail through, mark as spam, blacklist , white list (friends) mark as good or not. I do it slightly different, I select All, then untick the ones I want to let through, click Wash mail and it deletes all the ticked.  Example this morning got around 30 emails of which 3 I let through, rest got deleted without even reaching the computer.

Theres a free and paid version, the Free only allows 1 email account where as the Paid is unlimited. Good thing about the Paid ( not to sure about the free) is the recycle bin, if you accidently delete a mail you can restore it back.   And you can bounce back mails to the senders, sent LOTS of Rubbish back to the spammers.

Been using it since 2003, would not be without it.  Its designed by a kiwi in chch. 

Further to my other post -- they have fixed the problem the next day and sent out a new update.
One glitch that I've found with Mailwasher is that if an email accidentally gets deleted and is then retrieved from the recycle bin any attachment that it formerly had is lost.
(17-11-2023, 12:32 PM)harm_less Wrote: One glitch that I've found with Mailwasher is that if an email accidentally gets deleted and is then retrieved from the recycle bin any attachment that it formerly had is lost.

Don't have that problem ?? 

Just tried it to actually fully test, sent a email from my Outlook account with a PDF attachment to my work account. Mailwasher - Selected to delete, wash mail. 5 minutes later ( after a cuppa) Went into mailwasher, restored, allowed through attachment still there.

I did have problem once with retrieving deleted mails, and the Support at Mailwasher found the problem -- It was to do with the SMTP server settings, while they worked normally in getting mail, to recover they were wrong, once I contacted my provider and got the correct ones,  changed the SMTP  ( email and domain are Via Crazydomains)  worked perfectly after that.

Suggest you (if its a worry) contact Mailwasher ( firetrust via their site) and ask.
Gmail has a great spam filter. Go onto the web server and Mark As Spam some samples.
It learns and you no longer even see them next time.
(20-11-2023, 07:37 AM)piroska Wrote: Gmail has a great spam filter. Go onto the web server and Mark As Spam some samples.

Problem with Gmail's filter, it often will mark legit mail as spam. 

Theres many legit businesses that have their mail go to Spam, even though they aren't, and most people wont even bother looking in the spam folders to check something hasn't been marked by mistake.
(20-11-2023, 08:53 AM)Wainuitech Wrote:
(20-11-2023, 07:37 AM)piroska Wrote: Gmail has a great spam filter. Go onto the web server and Mark As Spam some samples.

Problem with Gmail's filter, it often will mark legit mail as spam. 

Theres many legit businesses that have their mail go to Spam, even though they aren't, and most people wont even bother looking in the spam folders to check something hasn't been marked by mistake.
Absolutely the case for us. We have ongoing problems with our website derived emails going to customers' spam folders and then having to resort to resending/forwarding using my Gmail account. As a business this can be interpreted by the intended recipient that we haven't bothered to reply to them which is a bad look!

Many people are oblivious to their spam folder's contents and only discover it by chance. Our email tracking service occasionally advises us that and email sent weeks/months or longer ago has finally been opened which I assume is due to a spam folder eventually being accessed. Likewise with unsubscribe advices being received well after a (Mailchimp) newsletter was sent.
Probably also compounded by the fact that a lot of punters don't make/know the distinction between a mailing list they have no interest in any longer (and should unsubscribe from ) and legitimate( Huh ) spam
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup