Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backups
I have  read that in 2020 Microsoft decided to pull the plug on the Windows 7 Back up and Restore tool, and  it will  likely  be removed in a future Windows Update.  Apparently  Microsoft recommend using a third-party utilities to back up instead. As Macruim Reflect is no longer free, can anyone recommend a good free Back up utility that I can use.

Thanks
for file backups I use cobian backup

You can still use V7 of macrium reflect without upgrading it
https://download.macrium.com/reflect/v7/...ee_x64.exe
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Thanks for your reply king1. I will certainly have a look see at V7 of macrium reflect
Macrium 8 is still free, in fact its just been patched in the last couple of days.  All it means is it wont be patched or upgraded after 1st January

Version 8 https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details...ition.html
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Hi Wainui

I have read that the free version of EaseUS ToDo for backups is a good program. Have you ever heard of it or do you know anything about the program, good or bad??

Smithie
(04-12-2023, 06:04 PM)smithie38 Wrote: Hi Wainui

I have read that the free version of EaseUS ToDo  for backups is a good program.  Have you ever heard of it or do you know anything about the program, good or bad??

Smithie

Yep Tried it several times over  a few years, Failed on restoring, gave it a miss. ANY backup has to work to be a proper backup. MANY people say a {Insert program} works great, and many look like they are working, BUT how many actually really use them to restore --I can tell you now very few.  Saying something has backed up is fine, but when restoring if it fails its completely useless. No  point if its failed and you dont find out until its really needed.

For example, with Macrium, its creating an image and restoring that or extracting files works better than using  Cloning, thats why I dont clone, I Image. Had Macrium fail when cloning, yet images work fine, and tested.

Edited: Example: Got a HP All in one here, reusing the Newish SSD drive on a new PC, thought OK clone it to save the data, went through the motions, looked all good, no errors, on reboot, wouldn't boot. This time Imaged instead  - and it booted fine from that when put back to another drive. Wasted approx 41/2 hours on cloning that turned to custard.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Thanks Wainui for your reply. You have convinced me that Macrium is the way to go.

Have a great Xmas

Smithie