Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Sky box with RCA vs new box with HDMI
My old Sky box has RCA terminals that I connect  a Digitech Transmitter and Receiver device that transmits an audio visual signal to a TV in another room.
Worked well for years.
Now, I am offered the New Sky box, but it has HDMI terminals and no RCA.
Should I stick with the old Sky box, or is there a method to connect the old with the new?
TIA, Peter.
I think you could use one of these with the new sky box
https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/hdmi-to...87659.html

it looks like it needs power, not sure if that is included, and you would probably have a loss of signal quality compared to what the HDMI could provide...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(08-12-2023, 03:39 PM)king1 Wrote: I think you could use one of these with the new sky box
https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/hdmi-to...87659.html

it looks like it needs power, not sure if that is included, and you would probably have a loss of signal quality compared to what the HDMI could provide...

I actually have one of those connecting my VERY OLD Wii which doesn't have HDMI only RCA out. The TV doesn't have RCA, -- RCA to HDMI to TV but the connector works well (not quite as advanced as a Sky Decoder though) From Memory, it came with a USB style cable for power that uses a Std phone charger adaptor. I had a spare adapter here.
The output picture certainly is not 1080, but thats more to do with the Wii than the adapter.

Looking at the Warehouse listed link, it goes in reverse to what mine says.

Got mine from Temu   RCA to HDMI   Edited: The one I got from Temu it shows very clearly the direction RCA to HDMI, not in reverse as the Warehouse one. I wanted RCA to HDMI , not the other way around.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Thank you both.  I will try for the Warehouse one.
I bought the 'Warehouse' HD Video Converter as suggested above.
The box states 'Full HD 1080p' and transmits to a tv in another room as I expected, in 16:9.
A new issue is that when trying to capture video to my computer, via the transmitter and 'pass through' via my Sony video camera, the format is only 4:3.
Video camera is set to 16:9 as per Sony handbook info but image appear on the screen as 4:3 and on the computer as 4:3.
Does anyone have a suggestion how I can capture 16:9 video and audio to my computer from the new Sky box?
TIA, Peter.
what is the screen resolution that your PC is set to?

Absolutely no idea if this is of any help, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFg_6Yf13rc
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
1920x1080 on the computer.
must be something to do with the config in the program you're using when you say "trying to capture video to my computer" - what program is that?

(15-05-2024, 12:07 PM)king1 Wrote: must be something to do with the config in the program you're using when you say "trying to capture video to my computer" - what program is that?

Pinnacle Studio 26 Ultimate.
I also capture with a Panasonic VHS player to digitize old VHS tapes, same result.
I'm on Windows 10 Home 22H2 so wondering if this has bearing with the format change.
windows will only be concerned about the aspect ratio from a display POV and you say that is already 1920*1080 so not an issue there.

I would be having a look inside pinnacle studio to see what its capture settings are

I was wondering about Win-10 conflicting with the vid cam.
Video viewed on the vid cam screen in video mode is 4x3.  Yet the vid cam, camera screen mode shows 16x9.
(15-05-2024, 04:41 PM)Still PeterEsp Wrote: I was wondering about Win-10 conflicting with the vid cam.
Video viewed on the vid cam screen in video mode is 4x3.  Yet the vid cam, camera screen mode shows 16x9.

hmmm I think that is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject I'm afraid, hopefully someone else can help more...

(15-05-2024, 04:49 PM)king1 Wrote:
(15-05-2024, 04:41 PM)Still PeterEsp Wrote: I was wondering about Win-10 conflicting with the vid cam.

hmmm I think that is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject I'm afraid, hopefully someone else can help more...

Thank you king1.
Yes I hope so.