Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fair go, Sunday to go
The only programme which can help people get fair treatment, & sometimes the final chance of being recompensed, & which has been used to get businesses to do the right thing by their customers is to be axed, despite being NZ's longest running programme.

And the only current affairs programme now running here, Sunday is also for the chop. It had been known to sometimes criticise politicians...

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/5111...estructure

"During a 2021 interview with RNZ's Afternoons programme, original host and creator Brian Edwards said he was inspired by a BBC programme called That's Life.
"One particular segment was on consumers and I think that was the germ of the idea, that we could do a programme in New Zealand where we could look at protecting people right there in their normal daily lives from rip offs and scams by various people and it it just soared from the beginning. I mean, it was tremendous," Edwards said.
Well-known presenter Kevin Milne hosted the show for almost three decades, from 1983 to 2010.
"It was beautifully set up, really, and it didn't require any change as much and still hasn't, you know, 44 years later," he told Afternoons during the same interview.
"I remember that there was a good deal of cynicism in the early days from the newsroom journalists who thought that the because there was an element of entertainment on the show that you couldn't call it real journalism, which was nonsense because it ended up leading the way in terms of investigative journalism."
The show broke new ground, Milne said.
"It's hard to believe now that back then, at the time when Brian set up those programmes, most broadcasters never named names. I can remember now hearing news stories which could say a well-known department store in Lambton Quay appeared in court this morning. No mention [of name], and when Fair Go started up, it was decided it would name names."
Edwards said that was an "absolutely critical" aspect of the show."

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/03/08/staff...y-fair-go/

"Up to 68 roles are on the line as part of wider cuts at TVNZ.
Half of the job losses were believed to be in the newsroom. Job losses were also being proposed with TVNZ's youth news service Re: and news video content producers.
Daily news bulletins, aside from 1News at Six, would be shelved under the plan.
TVNZ chief executive Jodi O'Donnell said the proposal to cut the programmes came from a need for the commercially-funded company to remain sustainable.
She told 1News she understood staff at the organisation were "angry". O'Donnell also addressed ongoing leaks to other media about the broadcaster's proposals.
TVNZ executive editor Phil O'Sullivan told 1News the shows being proposed for cancellation have been a "really important part of the fabric of New Zealand".
Fair Go executive producer Nicola Russell said her team was "devastated to learn today of the plan to axe the show".
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Please tell me Seven Sharp is going too...
(08-03-2024, 06:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Please tell me Seven Sharp is going too...

Well...everything else is - there's even talk of cuts to Shortland st!

Which I don't watch (apart from the first 5 minutes of the first episode) but it does have training  & employment value for actors & others working in  related industries.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Once Fair Go is gone, that removes the last ditch resource for people with problems with Tradies & business people who don't do the right thing. I've heard of more than one business which treated someone unfairly, only to back down if asked whether they'd like to appear on Fair Go.
Makes me wonder where the orders came from...
Ultimately, Fair Go's primary purpose was to attract ad revenue by attracting viewership.  If not enough people are watching it anymore, it can only continue to be produced if it is subsidised from other sources.  There is no conspiracy/orders from "big business" to shut down a thorn in their side etc., just the cold hard business reality of the show no longer fitting with what viewers want to watch.
(09-03-2024, 08:03 PM)dken31 Wrote: Ultimately, Fair Go's primary purpose was to attract ad revenue by attracting viewership.  If not enough people are watching it anymore, it can only continue to be produced if it is subsidised from other sources.  There is no conspiracy/orders from "big business" to shut down a thorn in their side etc., just the cold hard business reality of the show no longer fitting with what viewers want to watch.

tend to agree, these days folks can just go online to social media of choice and have a moan about any errant tradies - so from that perspective it has possibly outlived its usefulness
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(09-03-2024, 08:09 PM)king1 Wrote:
(09-03-2024, 08:03 PM)dken31 Wrote: Ultimately, Fair Go's primary purpose was to attract ad revenue by attracting viewership.  If not enough people are watching it anymore, it can only continue to be produced if it is subsidised from other sources.  There is no conspiracy/orders from "big business" to shut down a thorn in their side etc., just the cold hard business reality of the show no longer fitting with what viewers want to watch.

tend to agree, these days folks can just go online to social media of choice and have a moan about any errant tradies - so from that perspective it has possibly outlived its usefulness
Yes, most businesses now are more concerned with their TripAdvisor, No Cowboys or other such online review rating than of a Fair Go threat which has diluted substantially over the years.
Fair go was great, would rather see seven sharp and shorthand street dropped.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
"Makes me wonder where the orders came from..."

Indeed. Its a bit odd that both a current events programme & a long running programme which helps consumers should both be deemed unneccesary, particularly when the replacement programmes tend to be alleged 'reality' programmes or yet more cooking shows.

I'm not a fan of Shortland st, but it does provide work & experience for Kiwis who work in the film industry.
Cut Shortland Street does anyone actually watch that crap anymore . Daft scrips & bad acting total rubbish should save them a few $m
If no one was watching the soaps Joe, they wouldn't be keeping them.
Some of the soaps are quite complex really if you follow them and a lot of people long for complexity, after all most of the rest of life in NZ is fairly mundane.

Go to work, get low wages, buy over priced food from supermarkets to keep going, do it all again each week.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche