Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antivirus Reccomendations
Hi there Smile

Im still on my very oldish computer that Wainui magiced up for me and over the years used lots of different ones and currently use kapersky ?  and its driving me crazy.

I dont have spare $$ but open to new ideas. I do use Firefox and mostly just use the pc for work and watching movies or listening to music. so you tube, netflix, disney etc.

Big Grin
Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.
I use Malwarebytes Premium.
I do have other cameras!
Eset here, but I am a reseller ...

simple, effective, light on resources
https://www.eset.com/nz/home/antivirus/download/

there are different versions with extra features but I just stick with the basic AV
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Hey Beetle, would that be "peach" ???  If so that was back in 2013 Smile

You have to watch out for any  of the std free ones, most bug you to upgrade to paid versions.

Stay WELL AWAY from Avast or AVG, if you think you have troubles with kapersky, thats nothing compared to the two previous  mentioned Wink

Assuming its windows 10, the inbuilt from Microsoft isn't to bad as something really basic, at least it wont bug you to upgrade to a better version.

There was one Free AV I was going to suggest, but Eset stopped it from downloading, OOPS -- so guess thats out.  ( see attached Picture)

As king 1 suggested Eset Nod32 - ( Im a reseller as well) -- Its $50 / year ( $49.98) Eset dropped the price for new, to match renewals.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(11-05-2024, 01:05 PM)Wainuitech Wrote: Hey Beetle, would that be "peach" ???  If so that was back in 2013 Smile

You have to watch out for any  of the std free ones, most bug you to upgrade to paid versions.

Stay WELL AWAY from Avast or AVG, if you think you have troubles with kapersky, thats nothing compared to the two previous  mentioned Wink

Assuming its windows 10, the inbuilt from Microsoft isn't to bad as something really basic, at least it wont bug you to upgrade to a better version.

There was one Free AV I was going to suggest, but Eset stopped it from downloading, OOPS -- so guess thats out.  ( see attached Picture)

As king 1 suggested Eset Nod32 - ( Im a reseller as well) -- Its $50 / year ( $49.98) Eset dropped the price for new, to match renewals.
Yeah Big Grin
Windows 7 I believe

I use daily but mostly for movies.
Current budget is non existent  sold my house and moving up in the world Big Grin to a bigger one lol

Life is very busy Big Grin
I've NEVER paid for antivirus and I've never had a bug, well not one that caused a drama.

Maybe I'm just cleaner than you fulluz!

Beets, if you use it mostly for movies why the hell you wanna pay for something? Surely the free stuff would be more than adequate.
(11-05-2024, 01:47 PM)allblack Wrote: I've NEVER paid for antivirus and I've never had a bug, well not one that caused a drama.

Beets, if you use it mostly for movies why the hell you wanna pay for something? Surely the free stuff would be more than adequate.
Depends where those movies are being sourced from. If you're trawling the shadey depths of the internet then ESET is a lifesaver and well worth the price.
(11-05-2024, 02:03 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(11-05-2024, 01:47 PM)allblack Wrote: I've NEVER paid for antivirus and I've never had a bug, well not one that caused a drama.

Depends where those movies are being sourced from. If you're trawling the shadey depths of the internet then ESET is a lifesaver and well worth the price.

Good point. 

Beetle's middle name is 'shady depths of the internet' so she better get a 2nd job to pay for it all.
(11-05-2024, 02:23 PM)allblack Wrote:
(11-05-2024, 02:03 PM)harm_less Wrote: Depends where those movies are being sourced from. If you're trawling the shadey depths of the internet then ESET is a lifesaver and well worth the price.

Good point. 

Beetle's middle name is 'shady depths of the internet' so she better get a 2nd job to pay for it all.

Pfffffffffffftttt
Disney and netflix is my movie source.

And I never said pay for something, if I can get it free all good  Smile
(11-05-2024, 03:49 PM)beetle Wrote:
(11-05-2024, 02:23 PM)allblack Wrote: Good point. 

Pfffffffffffftttt
Disney and netflix is my movie source.

And I never said pay for something, if I can get it free all good  Smile

The Problem with Free ( apart from the Microsoft AV) is you get "extras" like nagging to upgrade, or more commonly Slowness and performance hits on the Computers. Get what you pay for.

Avast for example is more of an infection than a AV these days, even the paid one the persons computer who I worked on yesterday, They brought Avast Basic, then got hit left right and center with prompts to buy extra features. AND it slowed what was a reasonable powered computer ( i5 8GB Memory 256GB SSD, W11 - 6 months old) to a bucket of sh1t, that took 4 1/2 minutes to boot. ( I timed it).
Removed all the crap including Avast, installed Eset - removed 8 infections. Then it took 20 seconds to fully boot from completely off.
The built in windows security is pretty damn good these days, or else if your paranoid, go with eset.
Eset Nod32 more than likely wont be an option if its Windows 7 Still. Eset no longer supports it. Its simply to old.

Quote:ESET NOD32 Antivirus displays an error Outdated operating system during the installation
Source here