Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flight shame is dead
‘Flight shame is dead’: concern grows over climate impact of tourism boom

https://www.theguardian.com/news/article...t-net-zero
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I have done more than my share of travelling and about five years ago I resolved never to travel by air again.   I used to regard my friends as a fairly enlightened bunch but I've found that apart from my husband and one distant relative none of them share my views.   And as for acquaintances and neighbours... they're all proudly off on bloody cruises and tropical holidays.   Friends in London are constantly off on cheap "mini-breaks", which seem utterly pointless.

It's hard to have any kind of conversation about travel without coming across as sanctimonious though.   What do you say when someone asks you about travel plans for the year?   How to get some kind of message across without being offensive?
There are people in business all over the world, they will be pushing for an increase in activity in the business sector and see this increase as a healthy economy and a desirable thing, traveling is just one of the business activities which is harmful to the environment.

Luxon and Co are doing the same thing here in NZ, I think that basically it's a lost battle and we will have to learn the hard way.

The real problem is too many people doing far too much and not being in tune with the environment and it's too late now to take any meaningful steps for those of us who can see the writing on the wall.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
We've known that we need to clean up our act for decades now - did we do that? Did we hell. So,unless we swiftly come up with an alternative which is harmless, or as harmless as possible, we & our descendants will have to suffer the consequences.

The world is a weird place. And humans are idiots.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(08-09-2024, 08:21 AM)Olive Wrote: I have done more than my share of travelling and about five years ago I resolved never to travel by air again.   I used to regard my friends as a fairly enlightened bunch but I've found that apart from my husband and one distant relative none of them share my views.   And as for acquaintances and neighbours... they're all proudly off on bloody cruises and tropical holidays.   Friends in London are constantly off on cheap "mini-breaks", which seem utterly pointless.

It's hard to have any kind of conversation about travel without coming across as sanctimonious though.   What do you say when someone asks you about travel plans for the year?   How to get some kind of message across without being offensive?

Expect to receive ridicule from others.
Keep your personal views and beliefs to yourself is my advice.
Your post here is proof that this global warming phenomenon is just another religion cult.
You have no obligation to preach the idealogy, nor should anyone be expected to listen to it.
It's just the same when I was in the Jehovah's witnesses cult.
We were expected to take any opportunity to preach to others if asked when your birthday was, or what we were going to do over Christmas.
We had to respond and give a reason why we didn't celebrate birthdays or Christmas and use it as a way to preach to others.
I sure as hell never did, even when I was a believing member.
And I sure as hell don't give a flying fuck what my carbon footprint is when I travel.
I'm not letting anyone tell me that it's wrong to fly or be guilt tripped for doing so.
Firstly practice what you preach and ditch your petrol car if you haven't done so already and stop buying things that contain plastics if you are serious about any of this.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(15-09-2024, 12:14 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(08-09-2024, 08:21 AM)Olive Wrote: I have done more than my share of travelling and about five years ago I resolved never to travel by air again.   I used to regard my friends as a fairly enlightened bunch but I've found that apart from my husband and one distant relative none of them share my views.   And as for acquaintances and neighbours... they're all proudly off on bloody cruises and tropical holidays.   Friends in London are constantly off on cheap "mini-breaks", which seem utterly pointless.

Expect to receive ridicule from others.
Keep your personal views and beliefs to yourself is my advice.
Your post here is proof that this global warming phenomenon is just another religion cult.
You have no obligation to preach the idealogy, nor should anyone be expected to listen to it.
It's just the same when I was in the Jehovah's witnesses cult.
We were expected to take any opportunity to preach to others if asked when your birthday was, or what we were going to do over Christmas.
We had to respond and give a reason why we didn't celebrate birthdays or Christmas and use it as a way to preach to others.
I sure as hell never did, even when I was a believing member.
And I sure as hell don't give a flying fuck what my carbon footprint is when I travel.
I'm not letting anyone tell me that it's wrong to fly or be guilt tripped for doing so.
Firstly practice what you preach and ditch your petrol car if you haven't done so already and stop buying things that contain plastics if you are serious about any of this.

People are allowed to believe in whatever they like in the real world CT, it doesn't necessarily make it a religion or cult just because you don't believe in climate change, after all there is an awful lot of science behind it, which you obviously don't agree with.  

That is a far cry from what you experienced which was essentially carrying out the will of controlling leaders... 

But i'm curious about the practice what you preach statement - if someone did ditch their petrol car and stop buying things that contain plastics, your suggesting that is all it would take to convince you?  Many people have already done this worldwide, yet you don't seem convinced still...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup