Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wireless access in shed
Smile 
As title suggests, I want to extend wireless access to my shed which is out of range probably because it's a tin shed plus the physical distance.
So I've run a CAT6 cable from my existing Skinny modem/router in the house...

What is ideal for a wireless transmitter type device in the shed on the end of that CAt6?
What are the cheap solutions, hacks or workarounds?
Will one of my old wireless modems work for the shed, plugged in there? I should have an old Spark modem somewhere..
What are the pros and cons? I suppose any device on the Cat6 will be effectively be on my home network so passwords, Ip addresses and those considerations apply?
How do I make the whole system seamless so I can walk back and forth between house and shed with no issues?

This must have been done a thousand times, much must have been worked out. Best most reliable ways and the like.
Thanks for any thoughts, tips etc. Keen to hear experiences
Until this line:
How do I make the whole system seamless so I can walk back and forth between house and shed with no issues?

Exactly what you described will work. "proper" systems will have something in them to kick a client off at a certain radio level to they pick up a closer signal.

But what you have will work. Any old router will generally work, turn off dhcp etc, and plug your main feed back to the house to a LAN port (not the wan port) of the router you will be using as an extender. And as long as you have the same SSID names and passwords your machines should pick it up.

Failing that, if you still get some sort of signal as you're moving out to the shed, your device could hang on to the house wifi, and so you might have to force a disconnect. Another option might be to use a different SSID and choose it as you're heading to the shed.

If you get sick of it you could move to a mess system, where the backhaul is wired. But that's replacing your main router + buying any extra mesh units.
so you need a wifi Access Point - something like this will do
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NAPTPL1...0-Multiple

But it will have no ethernet ports spare just wifi - use a switch first if you do

You can use some older modems/routers if they specifically have a WAN connection option, but if they are DSL only modems it might not... I have heard stories that people just plug them in and it just works, they don't for me when I have tried...

as a router (ie via a wan port) it would normally be an isolated network on its own, isolated from the house, so no network shares or shared printers. You can try disabling the dhcp server in the secondary router and setting
its own IP to an address outside the primary DHCP server range, but it gets messy and this is where it breaks down whenever I've tried it, so I usually just get the correct device ...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
In Theory using an old Router as a wireless access point should work. Key WORD= Theory. Reality, often doesn't or is very unstable, esp ISP Branded Routers. They are not set to be changed and even when you  do go back to 1st point - Unstable.

The Access Point king linked to will do everything you asked, thats what its designed to do.

https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/faq/492/

Also keep in mind the overlap of the two signals is important, for example in the picture both signals over lap, if they didnt you would have a dead spot between signals.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
A slab of tinnies is the answer, at least that is what you may tell the "boss" of your house. If she doubts you show her the car door unlock thingy where you hold the car remote key your brain to extend the range.

Then inform her that beer does the same thing with wifi but has to be replaced frequently as it loses its power when it passes through the internal wifi boosting thingy inside you.

Ken
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Thanks for the nice thoughtful replies.

Most likely I'll go for the Access Point though if the old router turns up meantime, likely I'll try it. The last one was a Thomson 585? and a D-link before that seems to ring a bell.

Will get a 3pin power point sorted out shortly. Then I just need to terminate the RJ45's..

Thanks, I learned a lot.
(03-02-2023, 08:09 PM)Excalibur Wrote: ... The last one was a Thomson 585? ...

These do work as an access point.  Leaving the DSL port unplugged automatically turns off the DHCP server.

HOWEVER - if you want to change the SSID and password, make sure you know the IP address of the unit first. (normally 192.168.1.254?)
Everything worked out. I started getting excited about using an old router as access point so I searched for my old Thomson. Couldn't find it. Then asked around for any redundant routers. One friend said, threw one away 2 months ago! Suddenly a work mate said, have this old Netgear Wifi extender. OK, yep. Half an hour of studying, how to log on, reset etc, it was working.
Wow, perfect!
Thanks to all who helped.