Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panama prepares to evacuate first island in face of rising sea levels
Some good pictures here of people living a different life from us in NZ:

https://apnews.com/article/panama-island...9534405a84
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Poor people - that's going to be such an upheaval for them, so different to the life on a tiny island. But I think that process will be repeated around the world as sea levels rise.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There have been years of warning about climate change refugees, but I suspect most governments have simply taken no notice. Life will be very different in the coming decades, for a lot of nations. Displaced people have to go somewhere...
Yes, they will be coming here as well, not sure how we should react to large scale incursions if that is what happens.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
On the one hand. we can't just leave them to suffer surely, but on the other we're a small country & can't cope with too many more people.

Humans are idiots...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
But what if for the last hundred years or so they have been breeding indiscriminately, killing and eating all their native animals and fish, polluting their eco-system by using petroleum products en-mass, making large numbers of concrete buildings and seem to have no real awareness of global warming/climate change and only now are being made aware of the problem and now they are on their way over here to stuff up our "carefully looked after land" by their uncaring presence as they flee their population induced catastrophe.
(05-06-2024, 01:28 PM)zqwerty Wrote: But what if for the last hundred years or so they have been breeding indiscriminately, killing and eating all their native animals and fish, polluting their eco-system by using petroleum products en-mass, making large numbers of concrete buildings and seem to have no real awareness of global warming/climate change and only now are being made aware of the problem and now they are on their way over here to stuff up our "carefully looked after land" by their uncaring presence as they flee their population induced catastrophe.
Well, at least we're now close to having a Fast Track approval system which will streamline the infrastructure changes required to accommodate all those climate refugees. What could possibly go wrong? /s Rolleyes
(05-06-2024, 01:59 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 01:28 PM)zqwerty Wrote: But what if for the last hundred years or so they have been breeding indiscriminately, killing and eating all their native animals and fish, polluting their eco-system by using petroleum products en-mass, making large numbers of concrete buildings and seem to have no real awareness of global warming/climate change and only now are being made aware of the problem and now they are on their way over here to stuff up our "carefully looked after land" by their uncaring presence as they flee their population induced catastrophe.
Well, at least we're now close to having a Fast Track approval system which will streamline the infrastructure changes required to accommodate all those climate refugees. What could possibly go wrong? /s Rolleyes

I wondered earlier about problems as the climate gets warmer, & whether or not it might be necessary to build undersea cities..until the seas dry up of course... Rolleyes Big Grin
(05-06-2024, 03:30 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 01:59 PM)harm_less Wrote: Well, at least we're now close to having a Fast Track approval system which will streamline the infrastructure changes required to accommodate all those climate refugees. What could possibly go wrong? /s Rolleyes

I wondered earlier about problems as the climate gets warmer, & whether or not it might be necessary to build undersea cities..until the seas dry up of course... Rolleyes Big Grin

I saw a doco one time about floating cities/suburbs or some such, or maybe it was a  movie.  Anyway, if the seas dry up it does solve the lack of land problem, but probably provide more ammunition for war
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(05-06-2024, 04:08 PM)king1 Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 03:30 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I wondered earlier about problems as the climate gets warmer, & whether or not it might be necessary to build undersea cities..until the seas dry up of course... Rolleyes Big Grin

I saw a doco one time about floating cities/suburbs or some such, or maybe it was a  movie.  Anyway, if the seas dry up it does solve the lack of land problem, but probably provide more ammunition for war

Well, its very clear that our species is so bloody stupid it would be the latter... Rolleyes Big Grin

I do sometmes wonder if perhaps earth might not be the insane asylum for the universe...it would certainly explain politicians. And Trump... Big Grin