Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interislander ferry ran aground on rocks
Doesnt look too good, looks like the ship lost power/steering.
Very reminiscent of the Baltimore bridge disaster when that ship lost power.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/35031969...r-steering
hmmm, maybe we need some new Ferries...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Annnnd it's off the sand and free. They moved the cargo (trucks and cars plus freight) towards the back of the ship, moved the water ballast in the same direction to effectively lift the bow and used two small harbour tugs to pull it off the sand at high tide, mission accomplished.

Now standing by whilst evaluation is made to determine cause of stranding due to loss of steering.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(22-06-2024, 08:44 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Doesnt look too good, looks like the ship lost power/steering.
Very reminiscent of the Baltimore bridge disaster when that ship lost power.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/35031969...r-steering

We do seem to need new almost everything - including govt.. Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
This media piece provides a clear explanation of the powers at play in the interisland ferry saga. Spoiler alert the trucking industry vs. rail.
Our rail system definitely needs updating & reviving & I think most are aware of that, especially those of us who are older & remember the days when rail & the ferry did most of transporting goods, which were also the days when our roads were in far better condition.

Oddly, various govts are apparently completely unaware of this...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
slack lazy crew with poor training , they had it on auto pilot which is not recomended practice in shalow waters & definatly not in habours . It developed a fault & they didnt know how to disconnect it & made the situation worse by putting it in revrse , counter rotating props make vessel turn one way thats what happened on the Titanic if they put ful power forward theyd have missed the iceberg . But just like the pylon fall no one will actually be held responsible thats the result of Labours way no one is at fault just system error
I don't see a political link in this business, which looks to me like human error on top of human error. That's what happens when you have people in charge of big machines. Sometimes things go wrong.

People make mistakes.
I went for a trip up to the North Island from Christchurch with the car back in the 70's.

I was surprised how scruffy and 3rd world the ferries were in both directions. No pride or even cleanliness or average management of an important facility evidenced anywhere we went on the ships.

Looked like no one gave a stuff about the ships and how they looked. Dirty and unkempt.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(15-07-2024, 01:15 AM)joe 90 Wrote: slack  lazy    crew  with  poor  training , they  had it  on auto pilot which is not recomended practice  in shalow  waters    &  definatly not in habours . It developed a fault &    they  didnt know how to  disconnect it  &  made the situation worse  by  putting  it in revrse  ,  counter rotating props make vessel  turn one way    thats what happened on the Titanic  if they  put ful power forward theyd have missed the  iceberg  .  But  just like the pylon  fall  no one will  actually be held responsible thats  the result of    Labours way    no one is  at fault  just system error

Lazy slack commenting by a closed minded poster with no knowledge of the system he's criticising - another dupe of rightwing propaganda.
I do have other cameras!
I see that winston has politicized the whole thing about the autopilot.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/521...nder-crash

Leaving a ship on autopilot unattended is a recipe for disaster if that's indeed what happened.

I thought the Rena disaster would have been enough of a wake up call in that regard?
(15-07-2024, 02:08 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I see that winston has politicized the whole thing about the autopilot.

That is the way of conspiracy theorists. Winston is well and truly down the CT rabbit hole.
And if the autopilot was engaged accidently? And no one realised until it was too late? Or had the skills to respond quickly?

Human error.
(15-07-2024, 04:39 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And if the autopilot was engaged accidently? And no one realised until it was too late? Or had the skills to respond quickly?

Human error.

Ah, but right wingers and conspiracy theorists are perfect, and never make an error. Perhaps they aren't human?
I do have other cameras!
(15-07-2024, 02:14 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(15-07-2024, 02:08 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I see that winston has politicized the whole thing about the autopilot.

That is the way of conspiracy theorists. Winston is well and truly down the CT rabbit hole.

I wonder if we will really get the truth or not on what happened, seems the story has turned from steering failure to incompetent crew.
Its convenient for the govt if the crew was at fault because it distracts the public away from the fact that these ferries are worn out and past their useful life.