Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-Google your life
Quite a decent video from Linus tech tips for a change.

Part one in the series.
Got rid of gmail, Google photos, Google workspace., Google drive and Google docs.

Created a new YouTube account. But never use it because I download YouTube videos into Plex.
well I set up a Seafile server awhile back for dropbox like photo backups and storage, works pretty well.

What I would like to find is a way to self host the browser sync functionality, chrome doesn't seem to have anything available, Firefox does but i'm still trying to wrap my head around it...

There is an extension called xbrowsersync or some such for which you can self host a server but that only syncs bookmarks, no history or passwords etc

what do we use in place of the Google photos app for android? that annoys with "you're missing out" constantly
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(24-05-2024, 11:07 PM)king1 Wrote: well I set up a Seafile server awhile back for dropbox like photo backups and storage, works pretty well.

What I would like to find is a way to self host the browser sync functionality, chrome doesn't seem to have anything available, Firefox does but i'm still trying to wrap my head around it...

There is an extension called xbrowsersync or some such for which you can self host a server but that only syncs bookmarks, no history or passwords etc

what do we use in place of the Google photos app for android? that annoys with "you're missing out" constantly

If you don't mind running a NAS there are a few options which involve port forwarding. 
I think synology have a service you can use which uses their gateway from memory but never messed around with it. Can be a good option if you are on CG- NAT.
Western digital have "my cloud" but again you are reliant on their services.
I eventually want to set up my own cloud server.
Can find heaps of spare rack mount NAS units easily enough. Would not mind trying out some of the Linux options too.
Problem is the average user will find these things too difficult to implement. 

Firefox has a way to synchronize with a Firefox account but never used it.
I've always stuck with Firefox and for the most part, it's been OK. Brave browser looks a good alternative too.
Chromes market share may have reached its maximum point I'm thinking. 
As far as youtube goes, web 3.0 may be the best option.
Lots of blockchain based storage mediums coming out I see.
There is D-Tube and odysee to name a few. I see a few big youtubers have at least tried uploading some content to them.
(25-05-2024, 02:44 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(24-05-2024, 11:07 PM)king1 Wrote: well I set up a Seafile server awhile back for dropbox like photo backups and storage, works pretty well.

If you don't mind running a NAS there are a few options which involve port forwarding. 
I think synology have a service you can use which uses their gateway from memory but never messed around with it. Can be a good option if you are on CG- NAT.
Western digital have "my cloud" but again you are reliant on their services.
I eventually want to set up my own cloud server.
Can find heaps of spare rack mount NAS units easily enough. Would not mind trying out some of the Linux options too.
Problem is the average user will find these things too difficult to implement. 

Firefox has a way to synchronize with a Firefox account but never used it.
I've always stuck with Firefox and for the most part, it's been OK. Brave browser looks a good alternative too.
Chromes market share may have reached its maximum point I'm thinking. 
As far as youtube goes, web 3.0 may be the best option.
Lots of blockchain based storage mediums coming out I see.
There is D-Tube and odysee to name a few. I see a few big youtubers have at least tried uploading some content to them.
I run several Storj nodes on the subject of cloud storage, basically renting out spare storage capacity 
https://docs.storj.io/node/get-started/setup

they have recently cut back the payout rates but not enough to make me chuck it in as yet, you get paid in USD converted to their STORJ crypto token - it's a hobby...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(24-05-2024, 11:07 PM)king1 Wrote: what do we use in place of the Google photos app for android? that annoys with "you're missing out" constantly

Switch your phone to a custom android distro without GApps I guess.

Better privacy than anything stock anyway.
After watching the video, gave ARC a look, its certainly different compared to other browsers, takes a bit of Getting used to, but like some things just a bit of a learning curve. After about 10 minutes getting used to it and how to navigate it.

One item mentioned in the video is Brave Browser, been using that for quite some time now.

Can honestly say NONE of my computers have the Actual chrome installed, the only one is the Mrs Computer, and that's the Business edition due to her work using a Google Business Account, which she uses when working from home.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(30-05-2024, 06:26 PM)Wainuitech Wrote: After watching the video, gave ARC a look, its certainly different compared to other browsers, takes a bit of Getting used to, but like some things just a bit of a learning curve. After about 10 minutes getting used to it and how to navigate it.

One item mentioned in the video is Brave Browser, been using that for quite some time now.

Can honestly say NONE of my computers have the Actual chrome installed, the only one is the Mrs Computer, and that's the Business edition due to her work using a Google Business Account, which she uses when working from home.

Brave has been around for a little while now, but ive only really played around with it much in recent.
It sure has alot of good features and other than firefox is a good alternative to chrome.

Also just heard about this data leak from google, if its true it confirms alot of rumors that have been around for a long time.
I see part 2 got taken down!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apdZ7xmytiQ