Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plex Media Server
Hello.... has anyone here used Plex Media Server on a desktop as opposed to on a NAS setup? How well does it work if I only want to use it for my personal use? I would like to set it up so I can listen to my music files on other devices for example my tablet or phone. Also does this have any bearing on copyrights? Thanks for reading, appreciate any response. Thanks.  Cool
Plex works. You still need to sign in with an account no matter if you use it locally only or away from Home, otherwise the devices wont connect to the server.  

Used to use it a long time ago, but changed over to Jriver media Center, the software is installed on the media center PC under the TV, and pulls everything from the Servers in the workshop.

The main reason for changing, I found the old Windows ME Remote one day,  Smirk and it works perfectly with media center, easier to operate the program with the ME Remote than a keyboard and mouse. ( even SWMBO can operate it) Big Grin

Edited:  Just tried JRiver Media Server options as well, bit of learning and looking Nerd they work locally, no sign in required. This program is not free though (has a 30 Day Trial) , where as Plex does have a free option as well as paid. Not to sure how the app on a phone or tablet works ( not going to try either) but does work over a LAN from PC to PC.

Edit 2.  had a play with another thats meant to be quite good, Universal Media Server   Just tried it, its accessed more from a browser or application ( basically any media player that will look over a LAN) , so unlike Plex doesn't have to have separate player installed. Looks like it may be a bit fiddly to get working though.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
i'm using Jellyfin, works well locally, but fiddly to set up if you want to use from the internet, especially using security certificates...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup