Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wifi calling
I recently got introduced to wifi calling when I upgraded my Galaxy. I love the concept. Now I can talk while sitting by the PC or in the shed via the wifi extender.

A little problem though...

There's a minor problem with call quality. Best way I can describe it is to say it sounds like hiccups. It's as if the sound freezes for a split second.

Modem/router HG659 on Skinny Fibre
Galaxy SE21 SE 5G

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Is it on the "in the shed via the wifi extender." ?? Could be the same as my landline phone, the range between the home unit and the phone is to great, so it either Buffers or drops out.

Wifi Extenders -- Yeah not that Flash as some think, for them to work effectively you really need an approx. 50% signal overlap from the previous signal.

From what you describe though it sounds a little like its Buffering to use a streaming term.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Happens in both locations.

Buffering would suggest there's borderline/insufficient throughput of data.

The HG659 was released 10 years ago. Could it be too old? A lot would have happened in 10 years on a performance basis.
The HG659 was the existing modem when fibre got installed. Apparently I can sign up for a 12month plan and get a free modem.
But is there something better?

What else? I do have security camera setup on the same network. All cabling is CAT6.

Does modem placement have much to do with wifi performance.? My modem is a metre away when I'm at my workstation though it's in behind monitors. What about the mutli-plug power-board it's right alongside.?

Thanks
Could simply be to old, as mentioned tech moves on. I know quite a few people who used older modems / Routers change to newer models and fixes problems or their phones are simply to old to work correctly with newer tech / connections.

As for signing up for 12 months -- that's totally up to you of course, if you are happy to stay with a provider then you got nothing to lose by getting one of their modems. See it all th e time people change thinking they will get better and more often than not its actually worse.

Some say ISP supplied are rubbish ( some are esp the Orbies - had countless problems with them & Wireless)  I use the Vodafone Supplied for Cable. over the years, Tried changing to various well known  brands, and to be honest never see any differences, so stick with vodafone, good thing is also if it plays up they give you another, also if you are using the ISP's modem and there's a problem they are more likely to help, if using some other third party - They often will say not their problem its your XX Branded Modem.

As for placement -- How you describe - Shouldn't, its the ones that are locked away in cupboards or cabinets in the garage that have reduced ranges and possible interference.
If you look at all the Manufactures suggestions, they usually state place modem in central open area.

Simple way to test that - move it, see if there's any changes.

The Security -- if all via cable, always better than wireless.

"Buffering would suggest there's borderline/insufficient throughput of data."  I was only using that as an example, stops/starts for a second.  There's basically two feeds, the one from your ISP to the Modem/router, and the modem to devices.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Good advise as always. Thanks.

So, prudently I should ask Skinny what any replacement modem would be, brand, model, spec etc. Then I can make an informed decision,

Meantime should anyone have a recommendation, I'd be willing to study and consider.
Reliabilty, user friendliness, are good things to look at not just spec.