Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corrupt User Account.
This is a follow on from my previous post "USB won't show content".

I posed my problem on elevenforum. It was suggested that I probably had a corrupt user account, create a new user account and see if that worked. I have another user account set up on this PC for my wife. Using that I am able to see the USB content as soon as I attach the USB. 

So, how do I rebuild my user account?
well that is an interesting development...

I believe there is a way to create a new user profile and copy the whole userprofile folder at c: \users\XXXX (including hidden files) to the new folder and then a registry hack to link to the new profile to old or some such, i have not tried this...

However, since it seems that the profile itself is the problem, doing so is likely to reintroduce the problem. Best bet is just to copy all the folders over and set up as if it was a new install...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Does the usb drive show the contents when you open "this pc"?
It sounds more like the drive is working but the autoplay is disabled preventing file explorer opening the window when the drive is connected.
Does the usb drive show the contents when you open "this pc"?
It sounds more like the drive is working but the autoplay is disabled preventing file explorer opening the window when the drive is connected.

That is precisely the problem and why I do not want to do anything too critically. I have set up the Autoplay correctly (I believe) and using my wife's sign in, the USB works perfectly. However, this is all beyond me to work out.
Interesting, guess it sometimes just looking at a different angle so to speak.

If its just the user account, you can create a new account, and copy over the data, I'd forget about every thing else as you don't want to copy over corruptions. All the normal Programs should still work fine, just a word of advise, make the New Account an Administrator account as well other wise you wont have full control.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Just to update you all. I have completed a fresh install of Windows 11 Pro. The install kindly brought over all of my previous saved programs and files.

Especially happy because my problem has been fixed. I can now attach a USB and it shows the files as I want them. Thanks for the help.