Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You can never have enough...
(09-09-2024, 12:48 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And the investigation of the fire has begun. Fire officer interviewed and took notes, then someone senior from Haumaru repeated that exercise, and no doubt the police will join the queue. Interestingly, the smoke alarm is fully functional when they tested it, but they accept the fact it did not sound at the time - probably because it was placed on the wall, not the ceiling, and in the little hall, not the main space. And that was where the body was found, so they think he was trying to get out but smoke inhalation or a medical event stopped him. And the fire self exhausted having used all the available oxygen, partially because all doors and windows were closed and heavily curtained, so the space was air tight. That wouldn't have helped him in getting out, no oxygen and the brain is starved, thinking becomes impossible.

I am learning a lot from this event,, not the least about the way these events are examined after the fact. These people sure earn their keep. And not all their questions have answers, yet.

We have also been assured that a blessing is being organised to clear the flat of any lingering bad vibes. That is important to me and some of my neighbours. We will feel more setttled when that has been done.

He doesn't sound like the sort you'd want lingering, poor man. Apparently burining  white sage is said to be helpful.

Spotted Madame le Cat on neighbour's garage roof earlier; not sure how they view furry interlopers so called her & miraculously, she actually came! Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Yes I did think about doing a smudging if they didn't cleanse the place in some other way. I would rather they did it though, and they seem to take it for granted that that is entirely normal procedure. Which is reassuring.
And now I have three firemen in my unit, moving the smoke alarm. As I recline in bed and watch them instead of the tv...

Talk about hilarious!
Haha, OHH ... who needs TV when the alternative viewing 100% better! Glad they're improving the fire safety measures though  Smile
(09-09-2024, 06:25 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And now I have three firemen in my unit, moving the smoke alarm. As I recline in bed and watch them instead of the tv...

Talk about hilarious!

Well hell - something good came from it all anyway... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

So..did you get photos,then?? Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I was too shocked, lol, it was after dark and little old ladies don't often get such visitations at that time of night!

But I didn't completely lose my common sense. I got the tallest one to replace the outside light bulb for me seeing he had a step ladder in his hand. Which he didn't need.

Such useful creatures, men.
morning ladies Smile Another glorious start to the day.

lmao OHH, what a hoot! But great they are moving the smoke alarms so quickly. Quite scary to think they were all in the wrong spots.

Yesterday we went for another scoot/walk/trot (The Furry One) and came across a retired couple checking a string of rat traps. They told us they volunteered for the job and build the traps themselves. There are around 700 traps set around town and there are fewer and fewer rats being caught. There are some really good people out there.

Grocery shopping for us today and I need some more thread from Spotlight. I wish our local haberdashery would/could bring in DMC threads.

I started the dragon last evening, beginning with his eye. I'm really happy with it and what a joy to be stitching purple, blue and teals.

Happy crafting Smile
Life is a one time offer, use it well 
Apparently the regs have changed under the Healthy Homes initiative, and it was only a foot or so, to be 300 from a wall. Left a nasty little circle of old paint on the ceiling, so I might get out a long handled artist brush and disguise it one day when I am feeling flexible. I can do the first step on the ladder, just no higher!

It certainly has been one of those weeks...
KM! I follow a visible mender on Instagram and she just posted the most amazing hack that I will use and it made me think of you. She's mending a very jagged ripped seam with a patch underneath, and she tacks the rips down with a Uhu glue stick - pointing out it is water soluable, and when dried does not gum up the needle used for later overstitching and darning. I have to try this, especially on the light denim overdress/jacket I am currently working on, which has a loose facing running right around that needs to be hand stitched (I'm thinking multiple rows of coloured running stitches) to hold it down. A bit of glue would hold it in place for as long as the stitching takes. And it would be very handy for holding my floral appliques in place while I over stitch those too. Beats pins!
Morning everyone

Grey here. Not cold tho.

Glad they have sorted the smoke alarms etc Hunni.. Cos I seem to have a house with annoying smoke alarms I've had a few firemen in the house. Only one was what I would call nice looking lol.

I decided last night that I had to think about Christmas and my group at the home. So I thought I could knit mini Santa's and snowmen. They can hang on their walkers, wheelchairs or in their rooms without taking up too much room... So one of each are knitted. Bonus is they kept me awake for one of my fave shows lol. Basically for my ladies but also 3 guys on the fringes of my group. Cam, Keith and Mike.

I've spoken about Cam.. Keith is a big gentle Giant. But also a laugh too. He was caught hiding the bowl with the chocolate pudding I took in, he was taking the bowl to his room to lick lol. Apparently he sings, I haven't heard him yet. And Mike has Parkinson's but comes to Painting. He doesn't like the food much there, so has a mini fridge and microwave in his room to supplement his meals when they dish up crap.

Mum was good yesterday. Tired still.. But they tried to give her fish with gravy on it.. And it stunk.. She is looking forward to painting.

Yesterday while talking it turns out that Dianne and I grew up in the same style layout of state housing.. We were talking about it and the plans were exactly the same.. the things we have in common are amazing.. Only her parents brought theirs. Mine were talking about buying it when Dad died so it never happened.

Have a fab day everyone
Big Grin They told me I couldn't, so I did.!! Big Grin
Morning all 
Fine day after  strong winds driving rain last night.

OHH I have used school  water base gluestix for sometime to hold up hems etc  works a treat. Great that you took the opportunity  to get your light bulb sorted I would have thought about that afterwards. 

Sewed bit more of my jacket missing place the back yoke  argh... had to piece scrap fabric to replace it th seam is pretty much invisible  thank goodness.

Extra shift  at warehouse today, vet with poorly k9 more blood test and visiting a friend to help her  use a new to her coverstitch machine, knit night so should sleep well tonight 

Enjoy your day
It's fun to have fun but you have to know how  Big Grin
Good morning.

It's cloudy with a stong breeze ... maybe in for showers.

Groceries to get and an appointment later on. Need to make some baking time at some stage over the next couple of days. Good to be able to pull out of the freezer.

Watched the first of Celebrity Treasure Island last night ... always an interesting mix of contestants ... anyone's game!

Had better keep moving. 

Enjoy the day all.
Yay! I hadn't thought of hems, but that is entirely logical. And I do have a clutch of pretties hanging on my hw cupboard door waiting for me to get the urge to shorten them. By about 15 inches each, lol. The price of being a shortarse who loves to swan around in long length kimonos and maxi dresses. So cool in summer.

And I also have a lot of glue sticks from my workshop teaching stash, so no excuses now!

Except for this novel I'm three quarters of the way through, and can't put down...
Glue! What a brilliant idea! Must try it Big Grin I use safety pins rather than pins when needing to have fabric held in place while I hand stitch, but glue would be better still.

Groceries are done, MrK is happy as asparagus is back on the menu.

We've had a couple of letters from Downers explaining the road works that will be happening around us soon. We will be using one part of the new roundabout in a couple of weeks and SH29 will be a detour while they do all those major works on SH1. Not looking forward to that bit. MrK is already skeptical of how well the roads will be repaired... four years work in 16 months... we'll see.
MrP would be happy too re the Asparagus.. he loved it.
Big Grin They told me I couldn't, so I did.!! Big Grin
How much is asparagus where you are KM ... given the asparagus fields are "just up the road" from the supermarket? $7.00 a bunch here which I won't pay! We love it ... but will wait until increased supply/sensible pricing!
$7 a bunch here! I know, but MrK loves it. I won't be buying it quite as often as I used to though at this price.
Well, I am eating my own strawberries. Albeit one at a time rather than by the handful. But I do love sparrowgrass...

Sauted with butter.
(10-09-2024, 05:19 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, I am eating my own strawberries. Albeit one at a time rather than by the handful. But I do love sparrowgrass...

Sauted with butter.
Our sparrowgrass is just starting its season and it does so much enjoy strawberries as a companion crop. Anything tastes great sauted with butter. I do miss that since my gut decided that it doesn't like dairy Sad
Olive oil? Or maybe one of those balsamics...

Oh yum. I could be tempted when I go to my favourite fruit and vegie man tonorrow! Not just for his honey roasted peanuts...