Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You can never have enough...
Morning everyone

Sunny then dark here. Ill just leave the light on... lol

Sorry for your Loss Mica.. We had a passing at the home too Sweet Eva died.. I say she was sweet but man she was strong and didn't hold back. But generally always smiling. I fed her a few times and Ohh she loved the singing..

I love how singing brings such joy to them all, but wish it could be weekly not once a fortnight.

I was thinking about you yesterday Kiwimade with all these changes they are trying to rush into schools, would it be enough to make you go back?

So pleased the wiring etc is fixed Hunni.. I have all recessed lights. But have these horrible cheap silver toned plastic things over each light switch. I wasn't sure if they were plastic or metal to start with. But yeah plastic so at least there wont be any shocks off them.

I enjoyed my day off yesterday, and have another today.. I suspect Dianne will go and see mum for a quick check up. But Ill let them have time together..

Ill go up tomorrow, and if Mum isn't up to painting, Dianne can be with her and Ill cover the painting side of things.

More painting for me today.. Im enjoying it again.

Have a fab day...

500 pages everyone !!!!!!!
Big Grin They told me I couldn't, so I did.!! Big Grin
No, I won't be going back, popeye. I have enough on my plate with MrK's health slowly deteriorating. He has so many appointments with doctors and other health care people, I would have more time off than working. He is being assessed for a walking frame on Friday Smile
Life is a one time offer, use it well 
(17-09-2024, 09:29 AM)kiwimade64 Wrote: No, I won't be going back, popeye.  I have enough on my plate with MrK's health slowly deteriorating.  He has so many appointments with doctors and other health care people, I would have more time off than working.  He is being assessed for a walking frame on Friday Smile

Thats what I was thinking too Kiwimade... Been there done that.. Life gets in the way sometimes
Besides the classrooms are very different these days. Much more stress, a lot less satisfaction.

It is why I turned to teaching adults, lol...
(16-09-2024, 03:16 PM)Jan Wrote: Have been in a dark hole but the supposed assassination attempt deserves comment - wonder who paid for that to happen - the red necks will be impressed -Kamala is doing so well Trump will try anything
My grandson who has been very worried about me sent me this - thought it might appeal on here - gave me a giggle
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/...498740.jpg
A couple of years ago a boy turned up at breakfast club just tagged along with the rest of the kids from one of the motels - when asked what his name was he said Cxxt - the other kids said that’s what his father called him - eventually the headmistress caught up with the father and registered him - he actually had a lovely name which he didn’t know - he had no idea when his birthday was - just used to whip his Willy out and pee - absolutely feral - but after he settled down he loved drawing and being read to - he would disappear for days then turn up obviously had a beating - once had a cigarette burn on his forehead - OT worked really hard and found some of his mothers family who were more than willing to take him - the father fought it - anyway he moved away and had been living with his Aunty and cousins - the headmistress checked on him was absolutely thriving .Four weeks ago the father went to court and under the new law Kelvin Davis was so proud of was given custody as the parents have priority as long as he had a fixed abode which was temporary housing in Hamilton - he wasn’t interested in his son just the benefit - this precious 8 year old boy was bludgeoned to death in his bed the first night back with his father - the foster family have lodged a complaint with the police complaints authority with the backing of the local police - but they are only following the law - it’s bad enough children being killed but this is the fourth one since the law change that has been returned to a violent home .I know Jacinda is now living in America but I wonder if she imagined that little boy who no doubt was traumatised ending back with his father -unlike a baby he was old enough to understand what was happening - every MP should be backing the proposed law change - just because a child has your blood doesn’t earn you the right to automatically be the parent - the foster family wished they had given him the money he was going to collect from Winz - shouldn’t be happening .The politics in the US are disturbing but there are many things here that has me shaking my head - Robie is a Māori so his school children get free visits to the GP the solo Mum checkout operator who happens to be a pakeha has to pay $64 for her college student son -thank goodness Reti put a stop to that - that’s not what Kiwis want .There are even people still claiming that school lunches are going to be stopped - the previous govt only funded lunches for one third of the schools - some of the contracts like to the school I am involved with obviously involved backhanders cost $20 a meal - the kids  from the nearby EIT are now making the  lunches using all the donated food available for $1.50 per meal - the new govt have never proposed cutting free lunches but instead will be feeding all the kids using the Kids Can system - the taxpayers were paying full retail for one third of the kids - can’t understand why anybody wouldn’t support a scheme that will even feed preschoolers - kids should come before political ideology .The proposed dropping of the costs for retired teachers to help out you think would be welcomed but the teachers union would rather kids were sent home - just crazy .There are so many kids turning up at the supermarket looking who can’t read or write - unless the yoghurt has a picture of the fruit on it - they have no idea - going for a walk

Hope you're doing OK, Jan & feeling at least a bit better. The world can look extremely bleak sometimes I know, but I've found that it helps to remember that all over the world there are people doing small good things all the time, which we seldom hear about. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
morning ladies Smile We have a frost but at least the sun is out Smile

I have one wheelie bin pretty much full already, beats paying for it to be dumped when we pay for our wheelie bin. Today some bricks are going to my sister-in-law along with the clematis bit that broke off the main plant and a book. I am hoping we can bring the trolley home today as well. A fair trade, I think Big Grin

Time to 'do the garden rounds' with the Furry One. He 'insists' we do this each morning as part of his routine lol. Bossy little dog Heart Just as well we love him Tongue

Happy crafting Smile
Good morning everyone

Clear as a bell out there today. And it was a cold night.. Back to the hot water bottle for sure. Madam is parked on it again already.

Oh definitely creatures of habit. Missy loves having a cheese ball. She doesn't eat it. She just licks the flavour off them. And her licking changes when she does the ends. Then licks my fingers, I stroke her chest and she's off.. lol. Just one a day lol

Irene was on good pain meds yesterday. David rang on behalf of the other ladies to hear how she got on.. They didn't know she was back.. yep that's how little communication happens there.

Going in today. Its painting day.. Not sure if Ireme will be at paining so Ill take it if she isn't cos it means Dianne will be with her.

Spent too much time putting things in my Temu cart.. I really wish they would have a Wishlist. But I guess cos things sell soo fast that it wouldn't make sense really. So we load up the cart then cut the order back to something you can afford lol.

Have a fab day all
Good morning. 

Cold first thing but blue sky and sunshine now. Should be good to get outside later.

Nothing planned ... I do have a good book to finish,  if I get stuck!

Looking forward to dynamo 22mo in the house this weekend ... hopefully decent weather for them.

Enjoy the day all.
Morning all 
Clear skies sun  shining  thick layer of ice on windscreen 

Been to gym fed DS cats on way they off for few days.

Meeting friends for lunch today.

Enjoy your day
It's fun to have fun but you have to know how  Big Grin
(17-09-2024, 12:05 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(16-09-2024, 03:16 PM)Jan Wrote: Have been in a dark hole but the supposed assassination attempt deserves comment - wonder who paid for that to happen - the red necks will be impressed -Kamala is doing so well Trump will try anything
My grandson who has been very worried about me sent me this - thought it might appeal on here - gave me a giggle
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/...498740.jpg
A couple of years ago a boy turned up at breakfast club just tagged along with the rest of the kids from one of the motels - when asked what his name was he said Cxxt - the other kids said that’s what his father called him - eventually the headmistress caught up with the father and registered him - he actually had a lovely name which he didn’t know - he had no idea when his birthday was - just used to whip his Willy out and pee - absolutely feral - but after he settled down he loved drawing and being read to - he would disappear for days then turn up obviously had a beating - once had a cigarette burn on his forehead - OT worked really hard and found some of his mothers family who were more than willing to take him - the father fought it - anyway he moved away and had been living with his Aunty and cousins - the headmistress checked on him was absolutely thriving .Four weeks ago the father went to court and under the new law Kelvin Davis was so proud of was given custody as the parents have priority as long as he had a fixed abode which was temporary housing in Hamilton - he wasn’t interested in his son just the benefit - this precious 8 year old boy was bludgeoned to death in his bed the first night back with his father - the foster family have lodged a complaint with the police complaints authority with the backing of the local police - but they are only following the law - it’s bad enough children being killed but this is the fourth one since the law change that has been returned to a violent home .I know Jacinda is now living in America but I wonder if she imagined that little boy who no doubt was traumatised ending back with his father -unlike a baby he was old enough to understand what was happening - every MP should be backing the proposed law change - just because a child has your blood doesn’t earn you the right to automatically be the parent - the foster family wished they had given him the money he was going to collect from Winz - shouldn’t be happening .The politics in the US are disturbing but there are many things here that has me shaking my head - Robie is a Māori so his school children get free visits to the GP the solo Mum checkout operator who happens to be a pakeha has to pay $64 for her college student son -thank goodness Reti put a stop to that - that’s not what Kiwis want .There are even people still claiming that school lunches are going to be stopped - the previous govt only funded lunches for one third of the schools - some of the contracts like to the school I am involved with obviously involved backhanders cost $20 a meal - the kids  from the nearby EIT are now making the  lunches using all the donated food available for $1.50 per meal - the new govt have never proposed cutting free lunches but instead will be feeding all the kids using the Kids Can system - the taxpayers were paying full retail for one third of the kids - can’t understand why anybody wouldn’t support a scheme that will even feed preschoolers - kids should come before political ideology .The proposed dropping of the costs for retired teachers to help out you think would be welcomed but the teachers union would rather kids were sent home - just crazy .There are so many kids turning up at the supermarket looking who can’t read or write - unless the yoghurt has a picture of the fruit on it - they have no idea - going for a walk

Hope you're doing OK, Jan & feeling at least a bit better. The world can look extremely bleak sometimes I know, but I've found that it helps to remember that all over the world there are people doing small good things all the time, which we seldom hear about. Smile

Thanks Lilith - I am hoping the entire parliament will now support the Karen Chaw bill which seeks to reverse Kelvin Davis’s changes that has now allowed 4 children to be murdered after being returned to their abusive parents .He was a real little battler
Some folk should never be parents. There should be a one strike and you are out law with child abuse, but then I remember a friend years ago, who was falsely accused of child abuse by his wife as part of the divorce proceedings. He told us he couldn't prove her wrong, even if the kids stood up for him he was ruined and destroyed by the smearing. He killed himself.

One of my daughters friends used to show up at our place every chance she got, and stay. I never cottoned on till much much later, when after we left to come back to Auckland we heard she had hung herslf in the family garage, leaving a note laying out the details of the long history of family sexual abuse she had endured. She was such a beautiful young woman, and I felt such guilt at never realising how wrong her life was, how hurt she was. How safe she felt in our all female family home.

We do not know the stories behind the faces we meet, the conversations we have. It pays to be kind, it might just be that little thing that helps someone else survive unspoken horrors.
(18-09-2024, 03:27 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Some folk should never be parents. There should be a one strike and you are out law with child abuse, but then I remember a friend years ago, who was falsely accused of child abuse by his wife as part of the divorce proceedings. He told us he couldn't prove her wrong, even if the kids stood up for him he was ruined and destroyed by the smearing. He killed himself.

One of my daughters friends used to show up at our place every chance she got, and stay. I never cottoned on till much much later, when after we left to come back to Auckland we heard she had hung herslf in the family garage, leaving a note laying out the details of the long history of family sexual abuse she had endured. She was such a beautiful young woman, and I felt such guilt at never realising how wrong her life was, how hurt she was. How safe she felt in our all female family home.

We do not know the stories behind the faces we meet, the conversations we have. It pays to be kind, it might just be that little thing that helps someone else survive unspoken horrors.

I'd take it further, & teach at least the basics of parenting in high schools. And I'm also in favour of Celia Lashlie's method of getting in with the mother & giving her the help & support to be a good parent, which seems to work really well.

Its hard to be a good parent if you've never had it modellled to you by your own parents.

Years ago my kids had a friend who was close to two of them & often stayed at ours for a meal or sometimes overnight. As they all grew up they lost touch to some extent, but one day he turned up on my doorstep. He'd been living in Oz, had a wife & kids & was just back for a visit. 

I was honestly astounded when he gave me a small gift & thanked me for letting him spend time with us as he was growing up. At the time, I had no idea that it meant so much to him, to me it was just normal, the same thing some of their other mates also did sometimes but it was obviously signifcant for him. Sometimes we just don't know  the reality for others & the effect we have on them.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Our Nephew son went off the rails and ended up in court on sexual charges..

Thats when we found out that he had been abused as a youngen. None of his family knew.

We took him in, got him the best of councelling. Driving him over 2 hours to have it. His parents never gave a sh*t. His Father dropped him off at our place when we werent even home, at night time.

He is now the most caring supportive Father to his girls from two marriages. We were/ are sooo proud of him.

Lives can be turned around. I'm proud to say John is a success story.
morning ladies Smile Grey and overcast here this morning, and cold!

We also had the kid's friends stay over constantly. It just seemed to be the norm at the time.

Nothing planned for today, we'll just go with the flow. The physiotherapist comes tomorrow, and the OT is booked in for the 2nd Oct. Things are moving along Smile

We have the trolley, it's going to be so useful for both of us. I suspect we will need once each by the way MrK was talking how he could use it lol. It fitted snugly into the boot of the car too.

Happy crafting Smile
Good morning. 

Cloudy and we may be in for some showers.

Sadly, poverty has always been with us.  Most of my daughter's time at primary school there was only her and a boy in her year. When a farming dad and his daughter came into the area we had the girl around after school for playdates and I always remember her commenting at the tins of food in my cupboard. They ived from payday to payday. The same at Intermediate where I helped with reading. The teacher told me some of these kids didn't have a table and chairs let alone books. That was over 30 years ago, I was well aware over 60 years ago when I was a child that school lunches disappeared from bags  because kids were hungry.

School drop off and pick up later, no plan.

Enjoy the day all.
Morning everyone.

The sun is out here but it is still cold.

Woken by a couple of texts, meant for someone else before 6am this morning. Bad enough as it was, it was a husband texting something to his wife to read.. And yes they were are in the same house.. Guess its cos they met online and they still talk that way..

I find using a walker extremely handy. Especially when I want to carry things.. I take mine everywhere, but dont always use it. but I figure if I do have a fall or somehow end up hurting my knee I can always get it and use it. Madam likes to ride on it too lol.

Shopping this morning when I get organized.. And then I think Ill do my diamond painting..

We never went hungry but I know it was hard on Mum when Dad died, they had a widows benefit back then. The only thing I remember not having that other kids did was felt Pens.. And Ohhh how I wanted some.. I have always loved pens, pencils and stationery.. But My friends would let me use their pens at school and if I went to their place. And I never overused their pens. I would just do the outline of the picture in pens then colour in with pencils. I was always aware that they were theirs not mine. Always appreciated that they let me use them and never wanted to over use them. Oddly I never brought friends home, I always went to their places.

I still love stationery.. I still haven't opened the tinned set of colouring pencils I was given in 2018 lol.. I had always wanted a good set. But it was a dream when young. And a lady I met from trade me, who visited me when I had my tummy done brought them for me. We had never met till then.. Made me cry lol.

Because of the painting day I am getting a good collection of pictures, many that are to detailed to use paints on Ive been bringing home to colour in with pencils.

Have a fab day all
Morning all 
Overcast bit warmer  than past  couple of days

We had lots kids visiting our house while our kids were growing up. One still  calls me mum #2 . Mine visited other families too. In secondary school age we had more and overnight stays especially those that missed the last bus and train to suburbs  further out. They knew they could come to ours. I learnt alot about what was going on listening to snatches of conversations. They all turned out great

Warehouse day today and appointments this afternoon need to do a shop sometime too.

Not sure when I will get back into sewing cave

Enjoy your day
It's fun to have fun but you have to know how  Big Grin
That's the thing about kids coming and going, you do get to hear snippets of what was going on in their world. Sometimes I just had to chuckle and sometimes I couldn't believe what I was hearing lol.

MrK is trimming the lid of the chilly bin, it's hard to open and the catch needs a tad trimmed off it. Fingers crossed he doesn't trim it too far...

And we need new cutlery and have decided we will now use the 'good silverware' for everyday use. We're going to use all the nice stuff from now on, blow having it tucked away. And that includes Mum's china tea cups she never used as they were 'for good'.
Congrats KM. Post #10,000!

A few years ago I sold my 12 piece silver canteen because I knew I'd never use it again, and replaced it with a six place Grosvenor Christine set that I grew up with, one of my parents wedding presents. This one was almost unused, ridiculously cheap, and I use it everyday. Mums set, bashed scratched and abused sits in the tray underneath it, and I enjoy knowing it is there. I absolutely believe in using the good stuff. That said, I am really grateful to all those housekeepers who didn't, lol, because now I get to use and love their pristine silver, old china (especially blue and white!) and glorious crystal.

Champagne tastes on a beer income as my Dad used to say...
My grandmother gave me a crystal bowl on the condition I used it. I dont remember how old it was. but I did Use it.. she never had... Sadly it got broken when I used it for a big catering Christmas dinner. I was sad but also knew my grandmother would have been pleased I had in fact used it.

I have a fair amount of stuff that I haven't used yet too.. I should.

One of my mums gave me some bone handled cutlery, of which I do use.. They are the best.. One of my rest home Mums commented on one when I took it in..

I have a lot of Christmas Linen that I haven't used in a while, but since I never know what will happen in the future I think Ill hang onto it lol