Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maggie Smith dead
Maggie Smith has died at age 89...bugger.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cgk7375ngkxo
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I saw The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie when it first came out in the late 60's during my late teens, didn't warm to her then and what I've seen of her since hasn't changed my mind.

That curmudgeonly, spinsterish, dominating, magisterial, humourless, sour, with-drawn but ever-present character she always seems to portray, does nothing for me.

Wise to the ways of the world, perhaps, but in no sense enlightened.

I prefer the enlightened child model as a personal growth ideal.

She did say this:

When asked in 2013 if she was lonely, she replied, "it seems a bit pointless, going on on one's own, and not having someone to share it with"

I do agree with that.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Humourless?

Never watched Downtown then?
Here's a good picture of her

I think it shows who she was rather than that cliche character she seemed to be typecast into.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I saw her in A Room With a View but never watched Downton Abbey.
She was well known for her wit & sense of humour.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Maggie has joined a long list of actors from the cast of the Harry Potter movies that have since died. Maybe due to the advanced ages of many who were involved in them.
Which reflects the rather lovely demographic relationship that the two generations separated by parents enjoy...

(28-09-2024, 01:26 PM)zqwerty Wrote: I saw her in A Room With a View but never watched Downton Abbey.

You missed a treat. She was the shining star around which the characters revolved. If you discount the setting that is.
(Yesterday, 11:22 AM)harm_less Wrote: Maggie has joined a long list of actors from the cast of the Harry Potter movies that have since died. Maybe due to the advanced ages of many who were involved in them.

That's a long list...