Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Americas cup racing
Question 
Anyone going to be heading up to Auckland to watch any of the races?
This could potentially be the last chance to do so, even if NZ successfully defends the cup.
Definitely not going up to Auckland at the moment.

I shall probably be content to watch on TV. With the graphics you probably get a better idea of the progress that you would while watching it in Auckland.
Well covid definitely put a spanner in the works for sure.
I very nearly went up there last weekend, but at least the races have been postponed.

All I really care about is watching the yachts for real to see how fast they are going, on the TV it doesnt give it justice how fast things go!
I used to enjoy watching the America's Cup on TV but this time it has been one big yawnfest with the Prada Cup. Have it on in the background while I'm doing other things but once someone wins the start, that's it, all over. Hardly the exciting racing we were promised! Even people who have gone out on boats to watch it say the same thing. Only for the elite billionaires now, and doesn't seem like 'proper' sailing to me.
(06-03-2021, 10:29 AM)Outsider Wrote: I used to enjoy watching the America's Cup on TV but this time it has been one big yawnfest with the Prada Cup. Have it on in the background while I'm doing other things but once someone wins the start, that's it, all over. Hardly the exciting racing we were promised! Even people who have gone out on boats to watch it say the same thing. Only for the elite billionaires now, and doesn't seem like 'proper' sailing to me.

I agree with you.  As much as I appreciate the design and speed of these yachts it is over before it starts.  I know nothing about sailing but watched the early days of the Cup when it took hours with many front runner and wind changes I can't be bothered even turning it on now.  I don't really care who wins and the lack of entries from overseas shows something is wrong with the direction it has gone.  The excitement has gone---for me anyway.
Todays second race was insane! Who was watching?
I thought we were out of the game and then Parada had the exact same thing happen as what happened to us, but not only took longer to get back on the foils, but they faced penalties as their boat started heading outside the boundary!