Poll: Do you own a home?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I own a home
75.00%
21 75.00%
Yes, I own multiple homes
14.29%
4 14.29%
No, but I'm looking to buy at the moment
3.57%
1 3.57%
No, but I'm saving for a deposit
0%
0 0%
No, I'm renting
7.14%
2 7.14%
No, I'm living with family/friends/relatives but looking to rent
0%
0 0%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First thread! + Poll
I figured we need a thread here.

I'm actually moderately interested in real estate. As part of my job (videographer) I produce a lot of real estate videos. It's interesting to see how the market is booming, especially in Hamilton at the moment. Our median house price has hit $620k this year, and it's estimated to get close to $700 in the next year or so. It doesn't look to be slowing down any time soon as we have a lot of Aucklanders moving south, and we're running out of space to build out. So demand is shooting up, making it tough for first home buyers. It's an interesting trend.

So just out of curiosity, I thought I might add a poll. Could be interesting to see some stats. Obviously it's anonymous so don't be shy! Smile
We're on 7 acres here in the Naki which even with a typical average dwelling has a value that is a fraction of my sister's place on the North Shore.

Having lived rurally since 1997 apart from a couple of short renting stints as circumstances dictated I far prefer living with a decent distance of separation from neighbours. A rural property definitely fills my days with chores but the peace and quiet, rural scenery and the opportunity to fill your own freezer with meat and produce more than makes up for the extra workload.
I sort of own a home. That is I have a mortgage free building. Considered transportable but that would be hard. I pay rent (license to occupy) on the land it sits on. Ground maintenance is done by the property owners.
Median house prices in Tauranga are similar to Hamilton's too.
Absolutley ridiculous how anyone is able to afford property these days.
Mind you, paying a lifetime mortgage has to be better than paying lifetime rent(and paying someone else's mortgage)
(23-02-2020, 10:28 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Median house prices in Tauranga are similar to Hamilton's too.
Absolutley ridiculous how anyone is able to afford property these days.
Mind you, paying a lifetime mortgage has to be better than paying lifetime rent(and paying someone else's mortgage)

compared to what we were paying for Rent last year we are better off paying half that for a mortgage now and we can do whatever we please with the house too instead off all those restrictions
Crab2
Selwyn district / Rolleston is the same with regards to rather ridiculous price increases over the last year. Market rent at the time was almost double the 1 year fixed mortgage interest rate - not the case anymore.
Kia ora koutou, this looks like a reasonable new home after the closure of our regular...
(19-02-2020, 09:44 PM)videomonkey Wrote: I figured we need a thread here.

I'm actually moderately interested in real estate. As part of my job (videographer) I produce a lot of real estate videos. It's interesting to see how the market is booming, especially in Hamilton at the moment. Our median house price has hit $620k this year, and it's estimated to get close to $700 in the next year or so. It doesn't look to be slowing down any time soon as we have a lot of Aucklanders moving south, and we're running out of space to build out. So demand is shooting up, making it tough for first home buyers. It's an interesting trend.

So just out of curiosity, I thought I might add a poll. Could be interesting to see some stats. Obviously it's anonymous so don't be shy! Smile

So I'm guessing you use drones these days? I'm wondering about the whole privacy thing. 
I found an aerial shot of a house across from us that's for sale and it clearly showed my daughter's car in front of our front door when she was visiting recently.
What if that had been my lover? I wonder if anyone has been caught out like that?
Friend of mine showed her grandson how to use Google Earth. And he found her, caught walking up to his school to pick him up. He was delighted, and frequently tells people they can Google Earth his gran...