Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cookery Books
Which are the best of the new cookery books coming out for Christmas?   I want to treat myself to something special.
Hi Olive,

Perhaps ask this question in the 'Books' section??
Not sure that too many people come into the recipe section.Smile
Ottolenghi has a new one I believe. His books are always so gorgeously presented. His food is pretty good too. Complex sometimes, but good reading...
Oh yes, his books are lovely. As you say, the recipes can be complex, but always worth a read . I've decided to buy Claudia Roden's Med.
I'm relying on the library for cook books to drool over... And interior design beauties. It is a small addiction.
(18-11-2021, 06:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I'm relying on the library for cook books to drool over... And interior design beauties. It is a small addiction.
I watch all the interior designs type programmes on tv, and have quite a few books too.
I have so many cookbooks as my daughter did a professional chef's course, but why would anyone buy them?
You can just Google a recipe for the ingredients you have.
She does this and I do this.
Cookbooks are nice for the pictures but nothing else.
But picture books are a delight. I have at least one in every library visit. Love them, eye candy...
I don't own cookbooks anymore, but used to have a heap.

I love seeing kitchens that have heaps of them. They look really nice, and you can see that they are used.
(19-11-2021, 05:23 PM)Outsider Wrote: I have so many cookbooks as my daughter did a professional chef's course, but why would anyone buy them?
You can just Google a recipe for the ingredients you have.
She does this and I do this.
Cookbooks are nice for the pictures but nothing else.
Why would anyone buy cookery books?     Well the reason I buy them is that I value cultural context when it comes to cookery and I enjoy reading about the background and development of recipes.   I also appreciate that good cookery books are edited and the recipes tested.   

I rarely look up recipes on the internet, partly because they cannot be relied on, partly because so many are in blogs that have a financial interest in being as wordy as possible and I can't be bothered wading through pages of poorly written and repetitive trivia to get to the actual recipe.
I just love picture books. And most cook books are beautifully presented. If I want actual recipes I have my very grubby and well used selection of generations of Edmonds...
I think it's sad that we have tossed out our books, for the internet.

I sometimes regret getting rid of all my psych books, from when I was doing my degree. They were special, and were a testament to what I had done, when I was a working Mum. I was proud of them, but to be fair, they were bulky and heavy, and they went to a new home.

I have kept all my gardening books though. Yes, still all big and heavy, but I still get pleasure from them. I love the pictures, and some of them, I have used in my crafting, so the memory lives on.