Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
He Wakaputanga - NZ Declaration of independence...
Buicks book should be compulsory reading for every NZer.. but I think it will never see the light of day in our new curriculum.
I especially make reference to the words of Tamati Waka Nene during the fierce treaty debate
"We the chiefs, and natives of this land, are down low; they are up high, exalted, yet they make no slaves. What do you say? The Governor to go back? I am sick, I am dead, killed by you. Had you spoken thus in the olden time, when the traders and grog-sellers came—had you turned them away, then you could well say to the Governor, 'Go back,' and it would have been correct, straight, and I would also have said with you, 'Go back'—yes, we together as one man, with one voice. But now as things are, no, no, no. What did we do before the Pakeha came? We fought, {119} we fought continually. But now we can plant our grounds and the Pakeha will bring plenty of trade to our shores. Then let us keep him here. Let us all be friends together. I'll sign the puka puka.[79] I am walking beside the Pakeha."

Messages In This Thread
RE: He Wakaputanga - NZ Declaration of independence... - by The BDI - 22-04-2022, 03:33 PM