Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No farms - no food! Farmers protest in the Netherlands
(12-07-2022, 12:50 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 12:38 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I didnt even think much of the content had much to do with greenhouse gases at all, it was more to do with nitrate use on farms.
Presumably all this is over fertilizer use, not to do with greenhouse emissions at all, although that is still a huge issue for farmers and is a separate thing altogether.

Why blame farmers on climate change anyway? Its the bloody cars that are the issue, not farts from cows!
That sort of ignorance is what comes from listening to that sort of online propaganda.

The nitrogen fertiliser that the protests relate to are manufactured from hydrocarbon inputs. Its manufacture has a large impact on atmospheric CO2 and its use degrades soil organic matter which also emits CO2. And then the farmers take their diesel tractors on a nationwide road protest to complain about environmental constraints being served on them. Surely even you can see the hypocracy in that action Rolleyes

Holland also has some of the highest groundwater nitrate levels in Europe so it isn't only the atmosphere they're degrading with rampant N fertiliser use.
Ive only heard the negative effects on nitrates is due to runoff into streams, I agree thats a major issue.
Even if it causes co2 to be released from soil, its still from a carbon neutral source as organic matter.
Not that I think that these farming practices are ideal, but what alternatives are there?
Organic food costs stupid money, but thats our only alternative unless they can make organic fertilizers cheaper or something.

You would have to agree that any alternatives need to be cheaper rather than imposing strict controls on farmers that end up costing the consumer in the supermarket.

Messages In This Thread
RE: No farms - no food! Farmers protest in the Netherlands - by C_T_Russell - 12-07-2022, 01:14 PM