Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Windows updates
(31-10-2022, 09:29 AM)king1 Wrote:
(31-10-2022, 09:08 AM)SueDonim Wrote: Thanks for that. Our connection is a monthly plan on a wireless modem - 40gb for $45 which is usually enough but sometimes only just. I can buy more, but avoid that unless I need it, and get grumpy at the idea of Microsoft causing the need. Same on the phones. Huge updates are data-waste, especially when they are so often just fixing things that should have been right first time. But I do want to stay safe. At the moment on the desktop that wants to update Win10 I've got 2gb left for 3 days. It sounds like I should let the update go ahead and just reduce usage until it renews.

I've seen where the tick box is in the settings but I prefer to keep it unticked so that I can keep control. I'll let the update go manually this time.

Thanks also for the info on Win11. I should probably just get on with deciding what direction to take with the next computer.

all good, it's just a fact of life these days though about the size of the updates, luckily the big ones are only twice a year...

End of support for win10 is October 2025 so plenty of time still, probably another 6 months after that you'd get away with... There are 'hacks' to bypass some of the hardware requirements but you need to know what your doing and there is no guarantee they won't cause issues down the track, so probably not worth mentioning...

All good. The restart took well over an hour but everything is fine and my low data warning came up but it's only a couple of days to go before renewal.

Happy to go without the hacks for a Win 11 upgrade on the old computer. I can follow instructions, but don't want to risk issues down the track. My biggest priority is to have trouble-free computing. My main need for Win 11 is a software subscription that I realised is no longer updating correctly and it turns out that the latest version needs Win 11. I'm also aware that the current SSD is getting old so I'm starting to think and look at what I need, but not rushing in yet.

Thanks for your help.

Messages In This Thread
Windows updates - by SueDonim - 31-10-2022, 08:29 AM
RE: Windows updates - by king1 - 31-10-2022, 08:46 AM
RE: Windows updates - by SueDonim - 31-10-2022, 09:08 AM
RE: Windows updates - by king1 - 31-10-2022, 09:29 AM
RE: Windows updates - by SueDonim - 31-10-2022, 12:29 PM
RE: Windows updates - by king1 - 31-10-2022, 02:02 PM
RE: Windows updates - by SueDonim - 31-10-2022, 07:53 PM