Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inside child poverty revisited, Bryan Bruce
(30-11-2022, 04:58 PM)Zurdo Wrote:
(30-11-2022, 10:41 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
But within five years, my parents had bought a house in Spreydon (Christchurch) and they did it because the government controlled the mortgage market and lent the money to my parents and to the baby boom generation at three per cent for 40 years.
So we all got a house and we all got fed.”

The Golden Goose that Ruth Richardson sold - not only did the Government supply rental housing, they also supplied mortgages to low income workers...which also supplied the Government with income for future housing development. All Governments have been going backwards on social housing ever since.

I never could stand that woman; she seemed totally without empathy & compassion.

Maybe we need to change some things back to what they were - or closer to what they were. Whatever works best to make ours a fairer, less divided society. I remember reading about how they came to set up the state houses back in those times, & there was a quote from  the minister of housing at that time.

Imagine if we all shared the view that this entire country couldn't expect to prosper or progress unless we all had decent housing, what a difference that might make, just as it did then.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/a...d=11346757

"Then Minister of Housing Walter Nash told New Zealand it could not prosper or progress with a population that "lack[s] the conditions necessary for a 'home' and 'home life', in the best and fullest meaning of those words". It was a popular sentiment at the time, but look how far we have since regressed."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Inside child poverty revisited, Bryan Bruce - by Lilith7 - 30-11-2022, 06:19 PM