Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spark Sports "withdrawing from streaming market"
I have been thoroughly educated by having a mixed race daughter who chose to prioritise her tangata whenua heritage over my side of her genes. It was an interesting time, raising her through her 'activism' phase, we didn't come to blows, but it was close at times. Now of course lots of us have been re educated into a more civilised approach to our mixed race fellows, and te reo has been part of that process. We absorb so much just by osmosis, and as we age that is the easiest and most painless way to learn. Especially those of us older generation, whose exposure to other ethnicities, other cultures was often very limited. My upbringing was very white, very middle class, with all that goes with it, right up until I gave birth to a wahine, who grew up to have very strong ideas about who she wanted to be.

And watching her be treated badly by some, especially those who should have known better, simply because she had golden skin and brown eyes really hurt my heart, and that was the greatest lesson of all. The thought of my beautiful and beloved grandchildren going through some of that rubbish is even worse, so I am sensitive to racism, even the hint of it.

And climbing out of our ruts is actually very good for our brains. The discomfort of hard learning is actually a sign we are making new brain cells, just as well, considering how many we lose after middle age...

(18-12-2022, 12:21 PM)king1 Wrote:
(18-12-2022, 11:53 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Ohhhh goody! I must get my baskets of rude remarks together again so I am armed and ready to respond any casually racist remarks I come across. Love standing up for my kid and her gorgeous brown babies. Must admit though, my aim has been a bit off since being without targets for such a long time, so apologies in advance for any bruises inflicted on innocent bystanders...

lol, be nice to the newbies - we have a nice respectable forum here...

Uh huh... Rolleyes

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spark Sports "withdrawing from streaming market" - by Oh_hunnihunni - 18-12-2022, 01:32 PM