Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh joy predicted 40c extra on a liter of gas.
(01-02-2023, 06:18 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(01-02-2023, 04:35 PM)zkted Wrote: Dead right Gazza, in Auckland there are hundreds of nissan leafs with rooted batteries lucky if they could do 50km between charges. Not even possible to drive a newer leaf from Auckland to Tauranga.
As you say they are just shopping carts. My car is worth maybe $800 tops gets a good 50 mpg. If I need to tow my boat Auckland to Waitara what sort of EV can I get for $800?
I note the Communists have kept the gas subsidy on but anyone with brains still wont vote for them, its still the same old party with musical chairs.
The same strategy applies now as it did 5-10 years ago for those that can't justify or afford an EV that meets their needs. For an overwhelming majority of the population their driving comprises 90% of journeys being less than tens of kilometres per day so even a cheap 2nd hand EV satisfies the bulk of their transport needs with 'fueling' costing the equivalent of petrol at <30c/L.

For the few times a year that cargo space, towing capacity or long range is required it makes better economical sense to rent or borrow a better suited vehicle. The fuel savings made during the rest of the year will more than pay for the rental and makes far more sense than owning a vehicle that is only really needed a few days a year.

The idea of an $800 ICE car towing even a dingy for about 300km is stretching the realms of reality so expecting an EV for that price is an equally ridiculous proposition. The old straw man argument of expecting an EV to tow a boat/caravan/heavy duty trailer 1,000km non-stop and it costing less than a cheap secondhand ICE vehicle is also getting real tired and if you're realistically suggesting you undertake such endurance driving my condolences to your family.

Know that EV sales in NZ and worldwide are following, if not exceeding, the s-curve of adoption that is expected. December saw almost 20% of new car sales being BEVs and the rate of EV uptake is increasing ever faster. EV domination is inevitable and arguing that they don't compete against ICEs is all too relatable to the introduction of cars 100 years ago which the incumbants claimed would never out compete horses.
Who said only 300k I also tow from Auckland to Havelock for Seagull racing towing a 14ft 6" boat thats about 800km. 1.3 liter ford ka manual gearbox. Not saying it does 50 mpg towing.So unless they make EV vehicles this cheap with batteries that could last least last 30 yrs I guess its ICE for me. Nissan leaf would take about 10 days to get there.
Dont hold a grudge, slash their tires and call it evens.
If its old and British I want it except British helicopters.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oh joy predicted 40c extra on a liter of gas. - by zkted - 01-02-2023, 06:54 PM