Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fonterra investing in Synthetic milk
(24-02-2023, 11:18 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(23-02-2023, 08:28 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Proper food?

A bit judgemental there perhaps?
Word such as proper, natural and healthy are very subjective and open to argument. Many food qualities are constantly open to debate including sugar, carbohydrates, cholesterol, fats, various proteins, antioxidants and stimulants. For example the movement away from fats, and towards added sugar, has been disastrous in terms of obesity rates.

The overriding factor is that all of us operate on differing metabolic ways and the increasing levels of inflammatory responses and autoimmune afflictions caused to a large part by poor diet, pharmaceutical overuse, environmental toxins, caffeine and alcohol consumption and most importantly stress. We are increasingly becoming a health compromised species and while the adoption of food that are less damaging to our environment is to be admired on one level the increase in such heavily refined and manipulated inputs into our diets is very questionable for our gut and overall bodily health.

I agree. If I choose to feed myself and my household on minimally processed foods such as fish, meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, fruit and vegetables, thereby maintaining my very good health, I will be placing much less burden on our health services and our environment than if I eat ultra-processed convenience foods that are are associated with inflammation, diabetes, mental health problems and obesity. I am quite sure that the carbon footprint of a pasture-fed steer (and the necessary butchering) is smaller than the footprint of even one medical practice with its equipment and pharmaceuticals.

And let's not get into footprint of all the packaging of ultra-processed food.

And yes, I know this is a reductive example, but it is a useful perspective.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fonterra investing in Synthetic milk - by Olive - 24-02-2023, 12:25 PM