Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Book fair Organisers have lost the trust of the public it seems. Bookarama chch
(29-04-2023, 09:02 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Not to book fairs but I have given up shopping at second hand bookshops. I took a handful of perfectly good hardbacks to my local to sell a few years back and was offered a dollar each or a twenty credit... So took the cash then had a wander round the shelves only to discover the prices were so close to retail it was a toss up between their stock or new. So I decided if I wanted a book I would shop new (and probably from Book Depository at that) in protest, and haven't bought a book since.

It used to be book addicts like me could winnow the shelves and get a decent payback but not any more it seems. These days when I do it I drop my offerings off to the local free library in the retired bus stop two streets over. That way I hope locals get a chance to grab them before the profiteering pirate from the village gets his greedy hands on them.

I suppose, thinking about it, I could list them on TradeMe. I have done that years ago too...

Thank you for writing Smile I love the retired Bus stop Library, that is such a sweet idea Smile

I remember a site called sella, it was so good to find books on. Shame it closed as it couldn't compete with trademe

The markup's have definitely gotten higher, I saw a plastic shelf unit in a second hand store. I owned the same one so I knew how much it was....They had the price $10 less than retail and it was covered in dust and scratches

Messages In This Thread
RE: Book fair Organisers have lost the trust of the public it seems. Bookarama chch - by Reydar - 29-04-2023, 09:23 AM