Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Awful & targeted" Librarians & teachers concerned
(10-05-2023, 04:39 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote:
(07-05-2023, 11:47 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: This is just beyond awful; surely we'd reached a point where gay & trans people are accepted as a part of the community yet the poison from America appears to be spreading around NZ, courtesy of a group of narrow minded hate filled bigots. 
Its disgraceful that such backward idiocy is being spread here & I hope it can be stopped before it does more harm. Dodgy

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educati...eaching-nz

The harassment started after a conversation on the playground, with a group of children arguing about whether it was legal for two men to marry.
The other kids were arguing with him and saying, ‘no, you're wrong’. They called me over to answer the question,” said Harriet, who asked that her real name not be used because she was an ongoing target.
It just so happened that I was on lunch duty. It wasn't a question at me because I'm gay. It was just literally a question that kids wanted answered to end the argument,” she said.
Harriet told the children that, in New Zealand, it was legal for two men or two women to get married, and thought nothing more of it.

Then, the emails began.

They said that I was forcing my views on the children. They didn’t want me to talk about or refer to gayness in any form, at any point. They wanted that ‘disgusting flag’ on the wall taken down,” Harriet said.

It was a rainbow pride flag that had been on Harriet’s classroom wall for years without complaint.
It was really awful and targeted. Then they started posting on Facebook. Someone came into school and took a photo of my classroom wall and then posted it.”

They’re saying we’re teaching children inappropriate things. That we’re going into classrooms and grooming children – really awful stuff,” she said.

InsideOUT is used to facing backlash, but Besley said hate comments and emails had risen dramatically since March when anti-trans activist Kellie-Jay Keen-Minshull, also known as Posie Parker, visited New Zealand."

That makes me feel sick!  It scares the hell out of me that NZ is starting to follow down the same path as America. I thought we may have had an ounce more intelligence, seems not.

We do.

These people are very much a minority.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Awful & targeted" Librarians & teachers concerned - by Oh_hunnihunni - 10-05-2023, 06:01 PM