Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Developers take over, Heritage crushed
(23-07-2023, 04:15 PM)jim157 Wrote: housing shortage they say....dont demolish the old houses to  make way for new houses they say

Exactly. The conundrum.....

(24-07-2023, 09:51 AM)dken31 Wrote: I love old character homes on big sections and it is always a little sad to see yet another one removed to make way for 3+ houses in its place.  However, if an ever increasing number of people want to live in the same area, it is impossible to both not intensify and not have prices sky-rocket.  So, if you're wanting government to step in and prohibit the demolition or removal of old homes, you're only preserving them for the rich that will be able to afford them.

The recycling of old materials is a side issue that also makes me a little sad.  A block of old flats next door to me were demo'd a couple of months ago and they were full of old native timber (including a lot of kauri) but it all got ripped to shreds by a digger and taken to landfill.  However, if regulation required the developers to recycle it, that would add time and cost to the development, ultimately pushing up the cost of housing.  And, although most of us want to see old kauri timber re-used, very few of us are actually willing to pay for it.

Exactly. The conundrum....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Developers take over, Heritage crushed - by SueDonim - 24-07-2023, 02:41 PM