Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACT would reinstate training fees for first year
(28-08-2023, 05:46 PM)Zurdo Wrote: No, they haven't recognised dyscalculia - my granddaughter has it, and their extra help for her maths were special classes where she got given even more maths until she ''got it.'' I've 'got it' too, and the method for me in the 3rd form was the cane...and no, that didn't work either. Apart from avoiding number calculations, I have developed my own methods of ''doing sums'' and like dyslexics it's a mental game of pictures, patterns and mental movies...it's complicated, and nothing to do with maths, or at least maths taught in schools.

And left handers, I hope there is some understanding there these days. No one told me I was left handed...as with dyscalculia, I just thought I was stupid - can't write without making a mess, can't use scissors, doing things backward to everyone else to make it work. Mind you, my Primary School Headmaster was a forced right hander, and said there would be none of that in his school.

Your poor granddaughter, fgs she isn't going to 'get it' because she can't get it. I've never been tested but am very sure Ive got it. It was nothing for me to get a big fat zero in maths tests at high school, & I thought I was just stupid when it came to maths.
 I'd forgotten how bad it was till I started learning to use computers & we had to do spreadsheets & my brain just went weird as it used to. Talking to a grandson about it the other day, & it seems he might also have it at least slightly.

My mother was left handed too & they used to smack her hand & make her write with the right hand, but I think its all OK these days.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: ACT would reinstate training fees for first year - by Lilith7 - 28-08-2023, 07:28 PM